A good soundtrack can take a good movie and elevate it to a great one. The score behind Jurassic Park is one of the greatest scores of all time, so Michael Giacchino had an uphill battle when it comes to scoring both Jurassic World and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Billboard went behind the scenes with Giacchino and director J.A. Bayona about what they wanted from the score.
“When we first talked, we were thinking about how we wanted this to feel and what we wanted out of it. I love Stravisnky and Herrmann and I thought, ‘Let’s put those two together and see what happens,’” says Giacchino, who also scored 2015’s Jurassic World. “We’ve done a lot of different things with the Jurassic films over the years, and you’re always looking for somewhere else you can take it.”
“Watching it for the first time without the music, we thought about how suspenseful it was, the fact we have dinosaurs, we had volcanoes,” adds Bayona. “We had all the elements that we love from movies we saw when we were kids. That made us think about the Ray Harryhausen movies. This is when I told Michael: ‘This needs to sound very different… we should do the kind of music that nobody does anymore.’”
Summary: When the island’s dormant volcano begins roaring to life, Owen and Claire mount a campaign to rescue the remaining dinosaurs from this extinction-level event.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, directed by J.A. Bayona, stars Jeff Goldblum, Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Toby Jones, James Cromwell, Ted Levine, Geraldine Chaplin, Rafe Spall, B.D. Wong, and Justice Smith. It will be released on June 22nd.
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Roars with $711.5 Million Worldwide
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Review - Better Than Predecessor Film
- New Behind-the-Scenes Featurette for Bad Times at the El Royale - September 15, 2018
- Longtime James Bond Writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade Have Turned in a Script Treatment for Bond 25 - September 15, 2018
- New IMAX Poster for Venom Features Exclusive Art - September 14, 2018
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Filmmakers Tease the Final Goodbyes - September 14, 2018
- Ruben Fleischer Provides an Update on Zombieland 2 - September 14, 2018