When promoting the first issue of his new Netflix-owned comic book series The Magic Order to Deadline, Mark Millar called the series the biggest launch of a new idea in comics in 20 years, though it took Bleeding Cool to point out that a certain comic book convention had ordered a six-figure amount of all copies of The Magic Order as part of a promotion to get Mark Millar appearing at their shows, to get that figure.
He also told Deadline:
“In the past, we’ve always gone back for second, third and fourth printings, but we love the idea of making this as collectible as possible and literally doing no more printings after it sells out on Wednesday. I love the idea of scarcity here and making these a must-buy. So, it’s going to be a fun week and I’m curious what these move at on eBay by Wednesday night!”
Well, Wednesday night came and went. And did Thursday. But Bleeding Cool can confirm that as of Friday morning, retailers now tell me that it has just sold out from Diamond Comic Distributors. The Weatherman #1 also published by Image Comics on the same day sold out yesterday, and has gone to a second printing.
But as for eBay? Plenty of copies are selling for under the cover price, though the retailer exclusive variants seem to keep their value. Maybe that will change in days to come? Is there a final reveal to come, and a prestige feature?
- Two Meta-Looks at Comics From Marvel and DC This Week - October 19, 2018
- Archie Comics Cancels Their Marvel Digest Volumes - October 19, 2018
- Marvel Comics Challenge Another Punisher Trademark Application by Militia Group - October 19, 2018
- So Why Are There No Comic Book Unions Then? - October 19, 2018
- Jim Steranko, Ron Frenz, George Perez, Barry Kitson and Alan Davis on The Liberty Brigade - October 19, 2018