When promoting the first issue of his new Netflix-owned comic book series The Magic Order to Deadline, Mark Millar called the series the biggest launch of a new idea in comics in 20 years, though it took Bleeding Cool to point out that a certain comic book convention had ordered a six-figure amount of all copies of The Magic Order as part of a promotion to get Mark Millar appearing at their shows, to get that figure.
He also told Deadline:
“In the past, we’ve always gone back for second, third and fourth printings, but we love the idea of making this as collectible as possible and literally doing no more printings after it sells out on Wednesday. I love the idea of scarcity here and making these a must-buy. So, it’s going to be a fun week and I’m curious what these move at on eBay by Wednesday night!”
Well, Wednesday night came and went. And did Thursday. But Bleeding Cool can confirm that as of Friday morning, retailers now tell me that it has just sold out from Diamond Comic Distributors. The Weatherman #1 also published by Image Comics on the same day sold out yesterday, and has gone to a second printing.
But as for eBay? Plenty of copies are selling for under the cover price, though the retailer exclusive variants seem to keep their value. Maybe that will change in days to come? Is there a final reveal to come, and a prestige feature?
- Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for March 2019 Includes Invisible Kingdom, Hellboy: The Art of the Motion Picture and the Elfen Lied Omnibus - December 18, 2018
- Ibrahim Moustafa Joins Jeff Parker on James Bond: Origin - December 18, 2018
- Brian Ruckley to Reboot Transformers for IDW, Twice-Monthly in March 2019 - December 18, 2018
- The Roy/Neal War Continues On Bleeding Cool - December 18, 2018
- Marvel Comics March 2019 Solicitations in Full - December 18, 2018