Rick and Morty fans were very excited when it was announced that the show was not only renewed but renewed for 70 episodes last month. It seems that everyone involved with the show is in high spirits, and Polygon got a chance to talk to co-creator Justin Roiland at E3 after the debut of his game Trover Saves the World. Roiland said that there won’t be such long breaks between seasons now.
“We‘re super excited that, for the first time ever, we’re locked in, we know what the future is, we have job security,” Roiland said. ”[Dan] Harmon is in great spirits, we have a great writer’s room. We want the episodes to stay good, but we do also want to try to turn them around a little quicker now that we have this big order, I think it gives us the ability to be faster. We’re not going to do these long breaks, these chasms in between seasons anymore. We’re going to schedule vacation time and just keep the machine going. It’s going to be really cool.”
There was an 18-month break between seasons 2 and 3, and that’s something they’re hoping to avoid going forward now that they have job security. Harmon mentioned in his GQ interview that they don’t have to take side jobs now to keep paying the bills. Roiland is very excited and says that good things are happening in the writers room.
“It’s exciting, it’s a little surreal,” Roiland said. ”Even just being in the writers room for half the day every day this week, the ideas are … it’s going to be great.”
The one thing Roiland has been very impressed and amused by is all of the merchandise that has come out of the show even with one-episode jokes like Pickle Rick.
“I can’t believe the merch, how big it’s become,“ Roiland said. “I’m waiting for it to be like, ‘That’s enough. Get it out of my face now.’ But hopefully if we put out really smart, funny episodes, we’ll be able to ride that wave.”
The hype around Rick and Morty doesn’t appear to be slowing down anytime soon — as long as Roiland and Harmon can keep up the momentum for another 70 episodes.
- Jessica Gao Just Won an Emmy for Rick and Morty, Now She's Developing Her Own Show
- We Got to Play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at E3, and It Was Awesome
- Better Than the Justice League Movie: We Tried LEGO DC Super-Villains
- I Almost Sniped Someone Wearing a Flamingo Outfit in Hitman 2
- Watching Worlds Collide at E3 as we Leap into Jump Force
- Alienware Brings in New Gear to the E3 Floor This Year
- Disney in Talks to Reboot the Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise - October 23, 2018
- Joker: Dante Pereira-Olson Cast as Young Bruce Wayne and Douglas Hodge Cast as Alfred Pennyworth - October 23, 2018
- Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 Episode 2: Preview, Summary, and 7 Images - October 23, 2018
- Aaron Taylor-Johnson Comments on Quicksilver’s Return for Avengers 4 - October 19, 2018
- Netflix Cancels Marvel’s Luke Cage After 2 Seasons - October 19, 2018