We talk Voodoo Island (1957) a strange little thriller about a very modern Mythbusters-style hoax investigator trying to disprove the existence of Voodoo. That should work out for him, since the movie takers place in the South Pacific and Voodoo is a Haitian concept, but don’t get distracted by sense: this is an expedition movie, complete with rope bridges, man-eating plants, voodoo dolls, restless “natives”, and baffling casting choices. Voodoo Island (1957) starring Boris Karloff is a prime example of American mid-century fascination/exploration/exploitation of the South Seas.
Listen on YouTube:
Check out the trailer:
California Tiki Podcast Links
Check out the California Tiki book.
Join us over on Facebook to chime in.
The show is hosted here. Get our RSS Feed. Subscribe at iTunes. Listen on Stitcher. Or on YouTube.
The Team: Jason Henderson, one of the writers for Bungie’s Destiny 2 and creator of the HarperTeen novel series Alex Van Helsing, and Adam Foshko, Director of Story Development for Activision’s Call of Duty, Skylanders and Destiny franchises, Including Story consultant on Destiny 2.
- Castle Talk: Jordi O’Dael, Aberrant Theatre Co-Founder on The Ghost Light Anthology - October 16, 2018
- Castle of Horror: Halloween 6 Brought ‘Halloween’ Continuity To Mind-Bending Precipice - October 15, 2018
- Castle Talk: Amy Lukavics’ Nightingale Is A Harrowing Journey Into Madhouses - October 9, 2018
- Castle of Horror: Halloween 5 Took The Halloween Series Careening Out Of Control - October 8, 2018
- Castle Talk: Michael Ironside on the Desolation of “R-Rated Home Alone” Knuckleball - October 6, 2018