There were a lot of villains in the first season of Marvel’s Luke Cage, but the one to really watch might surprise you. Hernan Alvarez (Theo Rossi) is called “Shades” because of his signature sunglasses, but he has proven to be as slippery as an eel, changing loyalties whenever he sees a better opportunity. Shades has done time; he was in Seagate prison with Carl Lucas (Mike Colter) and even tried to kill him, which ended with Lucas being experimented on and becoming Luke Cage.
He later worked for Willis “Diamondback” Stryker (Erik LaRay Harvey) and sent to Harlem to keep an eye on Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes (Mahershala Ali). But when Cottonmouth ended up dead at the hands of his sister, Mariah Dillard (Alfre Woodard), and Diamondback went to jail, Shades changed his allegiance to Mariah and is now her right-hand man and lover.
Shades and Mariah are back for season 2 along with a few new villains including John “Bushmaster” McIver (Mustafa Shakir), Tilda “Nightshade” Johnson (Gabrielle Dennis), and Rosalie Carbone (Annabella Sciorra).
The latest Marvel 101 gives a quick history on Shades to help folks catch up before the release of Marvel’s Luke Cage season 2, June 22nd on Netflix.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018