The ongoing legal battle between Victor Miller and Friday the 13th has now spread far enough to affect Gun Media’s Friday the 13th: The Game. Due to the legal issues surrounding the lawsuit and claims of ownership, all future updates for the game are being halted indefinitely.
From Dread Central:
As the official press release explains:
“When we originally learned that the game fell within the crosshairs of this legal dispute, we tried to balance the creation of new content requested by our fans against the maintenance and bug fixing that our community expects and deserves. We attempted to do both within the limits of the legal case.
We’ve now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future. Although the listed content types will be affected, we remain committed to launching dedicated servers on our console platforms and providing the continued maintenance and bug fixing important to supporting our fan base. So what does this mean exactly? There will be no additional content added to Friday the 13th: The Game.
This includes “Uber Jason”, The Grendel Map, Jason Kill Packs, Clothing, Emotes and new Counselors.”
However, before you start panicking about the game dying on you like a blonde on prom night, Friday the 13th: The Game‘s Wes Keltner has confirmed that the team will continue to work on updates for the game while the legal battle puts it in a holding pattern.
Don’t worry. We aren’t stopping. We will continue to bug fix, optimize, balance, and provide routine maintenance to the game. Servers will remain on! Dedicated servers for console are on the way. Like Jason, we can take the hits and we will keep coming back.
— Wes Keltner (@weskeltner) June 11, 2018
- Gun Media Discusses the Future of Friday The 13th: The Game
- Friday the 13th: The Game Gets a New Developer For Maintenance
- Friday The 13th: The Game Devs Confirm An End to Content
- Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV are Hosting a Crossover - December 12, 2018
- Amy Hennig to Receive Life Achievement Award at GDC 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Fallout 76 Now Under Fire for Lazy Ultrawide Mode Update - December 12, 2018
- Wintersday Festival Kicks Off in Guild Wars 2 Today - December 12, 2018
- Final Fantasy XV’s Comrades Mode Goes Solo Today - December 12, 2018