Sony dropped a 12-minute trailer for Last of Us Part 2 at their E3 2018 press conference tonight. It focused upon Ellie, whom we already knew would be the main protagonist for this game.
In the opening scene she and a couple of friends are dancing at a bar while listening to country-folk music, reinforcing the Southern Gothic vibe of the first game. After the scene turns romantic with one of Ellie’s women friends, the trailer jumps to Ellie stabbing a man in the neck. The gameplay starts here, and it’s primarily stealth-based killing with bows-and-arrows and melee weapons. The violence is very brutal, and a lot of blood is shed.
This feels like it may be missing the point of the initial Last of Us, as the game ends with the hope that Ellie won’t just be turning into another Joel, who turned out to be an ugly and violent human being.
Regardless, the trailer looked very good, and there’s hope that the story can justify some of these narrative choices. The cinematics were especially gorgeous, with many of us at the Bleeding Cool bullpen agreeing that the kissing was an impressive work of CG animation.
Here is the full trailer for those interested in watching. It looks really good, but it’s not for the squeamish. The violence is remarkably brutal.
- Animosity: Evolution #6 Review – Ghost in the Animals in the Machine - June 17, 2018
- Comics for Your Pull Box, Week of June 20th, 2018: The Wedding is Here and We’re Getting Shanghai’d (Red) - June 17, 2018
- Top and Bottom 5 Comics for June 13th, 2018: Hawkman Lives - June 17, 2018
- First Impressions: Aces Weekly is What this Industry Needs [Vol. 34, Week 1 Review] - June 17, 2018
- First Impressions: Port of Earth Intrigues Despite Empty Action [Port of Earth #6 Review] - June 17, 2018