Supermarket Magnate Ron Burkle, who built his fortune via Ralphs, Fred Meyer Inc. and Food4Less, may be a little obsessed with the late, great comedian Bob Hope. Two years ago Burkle spent $13 million dollars to buy Hope’s former Palm Springs residence. Now it seems that he just dropped $15 million to buy the Bob and Dolores Hope estate in Toluca Lake, California.
He got a good deal on the property. The 5.2 acres estate was originally listed at $27.5 million in 2013 and the housing market has been going up, not down. Last year a developer went so far as to put the house into escrow and submit plans for permits to demolish the outlying buildings, likely with the idea of building additional housing in the popular area of Southern California. A local councilman tried and failed to counter that by submitting a motion to have the site declared a historic-cultural monument. The good news is that Burkle plans on restoring the property.
The main residence was built by architect Robert Finkelhor in 1938 and then expanded to 15,000 square feet in the 1950s. It has both indoor and outdoor pools, a guest house and a three-hole golf course with putting green.
All proceeds of the sale go to the Bob and Delores Hope Foundation as per Delores Hope’s will. She passed away in 2011, Bob passed in 2003 at the age of 100.
- 5 Things We Want to See in Krypton Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Gotham Season 5, the Final Season - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Black Lightning Season 2 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow Season 4 - June 30, 2018
- 5 Things We Want to See in Supergirl Season 4 - June 30, 2018