Every month, Marvel offers retailers the chance to commission exclusive covers for certain titles — as long as they order thousands of copies. It’s an effective, if expensive way for both parties to a) get some promotion and create collectibles for the market, and b) up their orders. Begun by Dreamwave back in the day, it was popularised by IDW and now Marvel Comics does it more than anyone else with anywhere between five and 10 titles a month.
Back in May, for Marvel Comics’ so-called Fresh Start, they smashed their records and allowed retailers to commission exclusive covers for the following thirteen titles. However for July that was down to only five. And for August? They split the difference and are offering seven of them.
Fantastic Four #1 will probably be the big one.
But they will also have retailer exclusive variants in August for Infinity Wars #1, The Punisher #1, Cable/Deadpool Annual #1, Edge Of Spider-Geddon #1, Extermination #1, West Coast Avengers #1 and Venom: First Host #1.
Will your store be commissioning any of them? Just don’t expect anything quite as detailed as this one…
- An Early Thanksgiving Present From DC Comics and Walmart - November 21, 2018
- Tying Up General Callahan in Astonishing X-Men #17 - November 21, 2018
- Cerebus Drops the Reprints in February 2019 for Sim City: A Dave To Kill For - November 21, 2018
- Grayson Lines Up A New Potential Girlfriend in Nightwing #53 (Spoilers) - November 21, 2018
- Oni Press Has Pilu Of The Woods and Queer & Trans Identities Join Rick & Morty in February 2019 Solicits - November 21, 2018