US celebrity chef and television personality Anthony Bourdain has been found dead in his hotel room, aged 61. CNN, for whom Bourdain was working at the time, has reported it as a confirmed suicide.
CNN’s Jake Tapper has since tweeted:
This is so awful.
Anthony Bourdain, 61, has died. He took his own life.
He was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series. His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.
— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) June 8, 2018
His fame was as a result of his book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, which talked about his own copious drugs use while working as an haute cuisine chef. Two years later, he was making A Cook’s Tour for the Food Network and won Emmys for Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations for the Travel Channel. His show Parts Unknown began on CNN in 2013 and is now in its 11th season.
He also became a comic book writer, first for DC Vertigo with two Get Jiro graphic novels, and recently followed its editor-in-chief, Karen Berger, to her new imprint Berger Books at Dark Horse Comics for the series Hungry Ghosts.
On Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, he told Jimmy that before becoming a chef, he wanted to be an underground cartoonist. He described himself as a comic book collector and a self-described “comic book nerd.” But he sold his sizeable collection in the ’80s to buy drugs.
He is survived by his daughter, Ariane Bourdain, born in 2007 to his then-wife Ottavia Busia.
- CNN Planning Feature-Length Documentary About Anthony Bourdain
- CNN Says A Final, FINAL Season of Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown' is Coming
- The Essential Bourdain: A Cook's Tour Season 1, Vol. 3
- The Essential Bourdain: A Cook's Tour Season 1, Vol. 2
- The Essential Bourdain: A Cook's Tour Season 1, Vol 1
- Remaining Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown Episodes Will Air on CNN
- Bono Dedicated a U2 Song to Anthony Bourdain During Apollo Show
- Asia Argento, Eric Ripert React to Anthony Bourdain's Passing