An instantly recognizable piece of Star Wars film history was auctioned off today during day two of Profiles In History’s Icons & Legends of Hollywood auction. I mean, there are actually several pieces from the galaxy far, far away, but lot 776 has some extra special awesomeness.
Obi-Wan Kenobi’s lightsaber chest, which was also used in Superman as Lex Luthor’s kryptonite chest, is one of those props with so much meaning to fans, it’s hard to explain the emotions that swirl around it.
The listing reads- 776. Alec Guinness “Obi-Wan Ben’ Kenobi” screen used Lightsaber chest from Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope. (TCF, 1977) Vintage original antique chest constructed of hammered decorative brass applied over wooden box. The 25.5 x 19 x 18.5 in. box features a heavy hinged lid, a swiveling carrying handle at each side and a hoop at the front for a slotted clasp pin. The hammered brass design features bold and exotic geometrical bars, squares and lattice motif throughout, suggestive of Indian or South East Asian patterns and decor. The interior lid is also brass-lined solid wood, while the inch-thick sides and bottom of the chest are ebony stained wood. A chain has been added from chest right side to lid right side to stabilize the lid when open. Highly visible in Star Wars in Obi-Wan Kenobi’s quarters where he stores and retrieves “Anakin Skywalker’s” Lightsaber and presents it to “Luke” (Mark Hamill). Also visible in Superman (1978) in Lex Luthor’s (Gene Hackman) study/lab where he stores Kryptonite. The piece is an actual antique, repurposed and studio distressed for production. Exhibiting some age, wear, and modification to the interior. Instantly identifiable on screen and in vintage very good to fine condition. $60,000 – $80,000
The auction continues tomorrow and Friday.
- 'Star Wars' Spinoff Film Was Going to Use Tatooine as Setting
- Han Solo's 'Return of the Jedi' Blaster Just Sold for $550k
- Report Claims Star Wars Spinoff Films are "on Hold"
- Ewan McGregor Starring in 'The Shining' Sequel 'Dr. Sleep' as Danny
- Mr. Hammond's 'Jurassic Park' Amber-Tipped Cane Sold for $32K
- Jamie Lee Curtis's Little Black Dress from 'True Lies' Sold for $3K
- Kurgan's Sword From Highlander Sold for $10k, Ramirez Katana for $15k
- Arnold Schwarzenegger's Terminator Motorcycle Sold for $520k
- Blade Runner Prop Gun Sells for $41k, Snake Plissken's MAC-10 for $20k
- Ripley's 'Alien' Space Suit Goes for $204k, 'Aliens' Flamethrower for $108k
- Helen Slater's Supergirl Costume Sells for $20,480 at Auction
- Ursa's Jumpsuit from Superman II Sells for $8,500
- One of Jane Fonda's Barbarella Rifles Sold for $220,000 at Auction
- Cesar Romero's The Joker Suit Sells for $89,600 at Auction
- Single Page of Rob Liefeld Deadpool Art Sells for $55K At Record-Breaking $12M Comic Auction
- ABC Renews ‘Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ For a 7th Season - November 16, 2018
- The Criterion Channel: New Service Picking Up Where FilmStruck Left Off - November 16, 2018
- Adi Shankar Working on ‘Devil May Cry’ Series for Netflix - November 16, 2018
- Fire & Blood: An Excerpt From George R. R. Martin’s Targaryen History Tome - November 16, 2018
- D23 Releases 2019’s Schedule, Celebrating 10 Years of Disney Fandom - November 16, 2018