Wizards of the Coast is updating their free-to-play digital card game Magic: The Gathering Arena to embrace the full 70-card Standard Format play. So now both Magic enthusiasts and hardcore competative players can play in the most popular version of MTG.
Additionally, cards from the Kaledesh and Aether Revolt blocks, along with cards from the 2017 Welcome Decks, will be added to Magic: The Gathering Arena. To fully realize the Standard format, Standard Bans will also be in effect starting on June 7. To celebrate this major update, active players will receive the following:
- Two of every Kaledesh / Aether Revolt common & uncommon card
- One of each rare and mythic rare
- Four of 15 pre-selected cards from both card sets
Other updates coming to Magic: The Gathering Arena include:
- Quick Draft will be available at all times. The set that is drafted will change each week.
- Best-of-3 events (Competitive Constructed / Draft events) will be introduced!
- An all-new item to the in-game store – The Welcome Bundle! For $5, players will receive a bunch of card packs and gems!
- Updates to the matchmaking system – there will be a reset so everyone will start from scratch. From there, people will go into placement matches to determine their initial MMR and their rank badge is tied to their MMR.
Standard Format, along with new cards, will be added to the game on June 7, 2018. You can check out the latest Developer Update video below.