Sometimes you go into a job and you’re not entirely sure what it is or what you’re going to be doing. We can only imagine that happens a lot these days with all of the secrecy surrounding projects like Star Wars. For Phoebe Waller-Bridgeshe really liked the character of L3-37 but, as she explained on an episode of The Graham Norton Show (via Cinema Blend) she didn’t know what a droid was.
I was going to the audition and I thought, ‘This character is amazing, she’s a revolutionary, she’s really cool,’ and the dialogue was amazing, and it said, just in one of the stage directions, ‘droid.’ So I was like, ‘Droid…droid…what’s a droid?’ And then I Googled a droid and then, nothing much really came up with the pictures, it wasn’t explicitly a robot. I was in the taxi on the way to the audition and I was like, ‘Shit, I really should know what a droid is,’ and I was asking my taxi driver, he was like, ‘I don’t know what a droid is.’ And he called his family, like, ‘What’s a droid?’
This must have been an amusing can ride as two people frantically tried to google exactly what a droid was. It’s interesting that Waller-Bridge saw L3 as a great character before seeing what she was in the movie. That says a lot about the writing that she wasn’t written like a droid but like a character
Summary: During an adventure into a dark criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca and encounters Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion.
Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Ron Howard, stars Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, and Thandie Newton. It will be released May 25th.
- 5 New Character Posters for Mary Poppins Returns - November 16, 2018
- DC Universe Announces the Premiere Date for Young Justice: Outsiders - November 16, 2018
- Instant Family Review: A Genuinely Funny and Sincere Family Comedy - November 16, 2018
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald Review: The Crime of Poorly Paced Exposition - November 15, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2 Episode 8: Promo, Summary, Images, and a Tiara - November 14, 2018