Wizards of the Coast have announced three new card sets coming to Magic: The Gathering this fall. All three sets will focus on Nicol Bolas’s plans for world domination and the heroes efforts to stop him in Ravnica. At the end of the three sets will be a final showdown with Bolas himself, though it will be a bit of time before the game makes it to that point.
While the announcement only gives us details on the first two sets, there’s more than a subtle hint that a third Ravnica set will follow the Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Alliance sets.
From Wizards’ announcement on the MTG blog:
Everything has been building up to this.
Nicol Bolas’s plans are taking shape, and heroes are converging on Ravnica to stop him—which means we’re going back to the world of guilds as well!
We’ll be spending three sets on Ravnica as we gear up for the final showdown with Bolas himself. We’ve got a little way to go till we get there, but now you can start preparing yourself—dig out that Izzet shirt, tune up that Golgari Commander deck, stack up your Orzhov tokens (or gold), and get ready to go back to Ravnica!
- Guilds of Ravnica releases October 5, 2018, and will prominently feature the harmonious Selesnya (green-white), the militant Boros (red-white), the life-and-death-focused Golgari (black-green), the frazzled geniuses of the Izzet (blue-red), and the mystery of the Dimir (blue-black).
- Ravnica Allegiance ratchets up the drama and releases January 2019, and will complete our travels through the guilds. Join the orderly Azorius (white-blue), the chaotic Rakdos (black-red), the wild Gruul (red-green), the experimental Simic (green-blue), and the devious Orzhov (white-black) as we reach the penultimate moment of the Gatewatch’s story.
- It wouldn’t be a return to Ravnica without letting players play as their favorite guilds. Guild Kits will feature a 60-card deck flavored after your favorite guild, plus guild schwag like pins, stickers, and Spindown life counters. Play as any one of the Guilds of Ravnica guilds with the Guilds of Ravnica Guild Kits releasing on November 2, 2018. Ravnica Allegiance Guild Kits release February 2019.
And, as you might have noticed in the video, we’re spending a third set on Ravnica as well—but we’re not quite ready to talk about it yet. Just know that while the setting will be Ravnica, the focus will be on the culmination of the story and not the guilds.
It’s going to be a wild ride as we return to one of Magic‘s favorite planes, and the long-boiling war with Nicol Bolas reaches its crescendo.
You can check out all the announcements in the video below.
- Rare 'Magic: The Gathering' Card Sells for Over $87k
- Magic: The Gathering is Getting Hit Hard by Tariffs in Canada
- European Comics Platform Izneo is Moving to the Switch - November 11, 2018
- Metro Exodus Spartan Collector’s Edition Details Revealed - November 11, 2018
- EA and UEFA Reveal the eChampions League for FIFA 19 - November 11, 2018
- PlayStation Owners in Chicago will be Taxed Extra for Game Rentals - November 11, 2018
- Thief Simulator Tops Steam’s Bestseller List This Weekend - November 11, 2018