Director David Leitch has been making the round to the various news outlets, and while he is talking a lot about Deadpool 2, he’s also dropping a lot of hints about his next project. Leitch was hired to direct Hobbs and Shaw, the Fast and Furious spinoff starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham. While speaking to IGN Leitch compared the movie to Lethal Weapon and other buddy cop movies from the ’80s and ’90s.
“There are these buddy movies from the 80s and 90s,” Leitch said, adding, “like Lethal Weapon and 48 hours that really speak to me as a filmmaker. They’re (buddy movies) ones that made me want to be a filmmaker in the first place. So to see the chemistry they (Johnson and Statham) had in the last Fast, and to see the potential that they could be…it was hard not to say yes, and say, let’s go do this.”
It’s an interesting tone to go with. They also have mainstay Chris Morgan, who has been writing the Fast and Furious movies since 2006, so he obviously knows the world that they are going to explore.
Production for Hobbs and Shaw is set to start production this September, and it has a release date of July 26th, 2019. The Fast and Furious series has made $5.1 billion in the worldwide box office and has been keeping the lights on at Universal Pictures since 2001.
- SpongeBob and Dwayne "The Rock" / "Beef Piston" Johnson's Magical Twitter Exchange
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Latest Skyscraper Trailer Is Here!
- RUMOR: Doctor Strange 2 to Start Production “Next Spring” - August 20, 2018
- Eva Longoria Has Joined the Cast of Dora the Explorer - August 20, 2018
- Lucifer Season 4: Inbar Lavi Joins the Cast as Eve - August 20, 2018
- Mile 22 Review: A Genuine Waste of Iko Uwais’s Talents - August 16, 2018
- Iron Fist Season 2: Simone Missick Comments on the Potential of a Danny/Misty Relationship - August 16, 2018