We don’t know that much about the upcoming Dark Phoenix movie, though we were recently reassured that the reshoots weren’t anything to worry about. We’ve also been told this movie is “grounded”, which doesn’t exactly follow along with the story told in the comics. The Dark Phoenix Saga is one of the most beloved X-Men tales of all time. X-Men: The Last Stand didn’t do a great job of adapting the story, to say the least, and Foz isn’t looking to repeat that. Entertainment Tonight recently spoke to director Simon Kinberg, and he talked about the production.
“It’s much more loyal to the original comic than X-Men 3, which told the Dark Phoenix story,” Kinberg said. “It’s a movie that involves extraterrestrial characters, which is not something that we’ve done in the X-Men franchise before, and is something that is a huge part of the Dark Phoenix saga in the comics. … It’s more intense and it’s more real and grounded, and hopefully more relatable.”
No one is really sure what to expect from this round of X-Men movies. With the delays and the impending sale to someone, it’s going to be interesting to see how all of these turn out. Kinberg seems to want to find the happy medium between the space adventures of the comic and the more grounded tone of the movies for Dark Phoenix. Now we just have to see if it works out.
Summary: Jean Grey begins to develop incredible powers that corrupt and turn it into a Dark Phoenix. Now the X-Men will have to decide if the life of a team member is worth more than all the people living in the world.
Dark Phoenix, directed by Simon Kinberg, stars James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Sophie Turner, Jennifer Lawrence, and Nicholas Hoult. It will be released on February 14th, 2019.
- 'Dark Phoenix' is NOT Undergoing 3 Months of Reshoots
- The Gifted Season 2: Reed Strucker’s Powers Will Be “Very, Very Bad News” - August 15, 2018
- The Happytime Murders Releases an Important PSA - August 15, 2018
- Avengers 4 Will Feature a Captain America and Black Widow with a “Harder Edge” - August 15, 2018
- Runaways Season 2: Karolina and Nico’s Relationship is the “Emotional Core” - August 15, 2018
- The Gifted Season 2: Caitlin Strucker is “Hardened by Grief” - August 15, 2018