Today sees the publication of Avengers #2 by Jason Aaron, Ed McGuinness, Mark Morales, Justin Ponsor and Bleeding Cool favourite David Curiel.
The attack of Celestial-killing The First Host, teased way back in Marvel Legacy. The Avengers attacking, some members being turned and everything turning back-to-basics with a green-lettering tinged narrator.
Firstly, the world governments give Steve Rogers access to all their missiles, so soon after the events of Secret Empire?
And secondly Bleeding Cool first told you, The Eternals are being developed as an upcoming movie from Marvel, so it seems the beginnings of their return to the spotlight of the Marvel Universe are being set in motion. They haven’t been mentioned for a while, and usually emerge piecemeal. Could we see Jason Aaron bringing them back to the fore? Their own series?
Maybe in War of The Realms? There is some Thor crossover after all… and I’m sure the comics side would like another modern take on the Eternals before Kevin Feige gets a go.
Jack Kirby’s New Gods was a series, planned with a beginning, middle and end, was left unfinished at DC Comics as the titles involved were all cancelled. Kirby returned to work at Marvel on better terms and bringing some of his ideas with him.
And so in 1976, The Eternals was born, a fictional race of humanity and an offshoot of the evolutionary process that created sentient life on Earth. The original instigators of this process, the Celestials, intended the Eternals to be the defenders of Earth, fighting against the Deviants, and giving Marvel’s Universe and the Marvel Earth a long-standing cosmic history. Again, the series was cancelled with unresolved plots, though Roy Thomas and Mark Gruenwald would do their best to resolve them. Since, the Celestials, god-like creatures who interfered with the Earth’s development and laying the groundwork for Inhumans, mutants and more to emerge, have become a staple part of Marvel Comics continuity
(W) Jason Aaron (A/CA) Ed McGuinness
• Black Panther and Dr. Strange battle for their lives deep within the earth…
• Captain Marvel battles death and destruction raining down from the skies…
• …while Thor, Iron Man and Captain America lead the valiant (yet hopeless) fight against the Final Host of Dark Celestials.
• And Ghost Rider and the Savage Hulk make brutal war against…each other?
• Plus, you can’t have a gathering of Avengers without a certain Prince of Lies, now can you?
Rated T+In Shops: May 16, 2018
- 12 Retailer Exclusive Cover Opportunities from Marvel for December 2018 - September 21, 2018
- Will You Pay an Extra Dollar to Commemorate a Dead Guardian Of The Galaxy? - September 21, 2018
- Marvel to Preview Age Of Star Wars With Free Magazine - September 21, 2018
- Ch-Ch-Changes to Vault Of Spiders, Captain Marvel Hallowe’en Spooktacular and Avengers: Hallowe’en Special - September 21, 2018
- You May Not ‘Color Your Own X-Men’ Any More – But Why? - September 21, 2018