Reporting is hard work sometimes folks, and this morning we had a doozy of a Star Wars story hit the wire that was soon redacted. Polygon and others sounded the horn that LucasFilm CEO Kathleen Kennedy had reportedly confirmed plans for a Lando Calrissian spinoff film, which of course was super exciting news. It also was not correct.
Almost all of the outlets have updated their original reports (again these things do happen to pretty much any/all outlets) that the quote of Kennedy’s being used to break the news was a misquote from Premiere Magazine during a red carpet interview at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of Solo.
The original quote as reported by Premiere reads:
“We think that the next spinoff will be dedicated to Lando Calrissian,” Kennedy told Premiere. “Of course, there are still many stories to tell about Han and Chewbacca but Lando will be next.”
Since this hit the interwebs this morning, LucasFilm has reached out to Premiere Magazine, who’ve updated their original story, with a corrected/explained addendum quote:
“Following the publication of our article, Lucasfilm informs us that there would have been a misunderstanding between our journalist and Kathleen Kennedy. ‘We would love to tell a story about Lando Calrissian one day, but it’s not relevant, it would be fun to tell the story of Han and Chewie …’”
Would a possible Lando spinoff with Donald Glover be a good move for the franchise? Only time will tell, as Solo: A Star Wars Story hasn’t opened stateside yet.
- 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Has the Deepest of EU Cuts [Spoiler-Free Review]
- Thandie Newton's Star Wars Cannes Dress for 'Solo' Premiere Is Amazing
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Review - Lando Rocks, Solo's Fine, and Star Wars Lives On [Spoiler Free]
- Alden Ehrenreich Thinks Solo: A Star Wars Story Sequels Could Be Approached Like Indiana Jones Sequels
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Jonathan Kasdan Wants a Lando Movie
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Donald Glover Talks Pursuing the Role of Lando
- That Kenobi Star Wars Spinoff Film May Actually Be Happening
- Let’s Talk About Westworld Season 2 Episode 5, “Akane No Mai” - May 20, 2018
- At Long Last, Terry Gilliam Has Screened “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” - May 20, 2018
- Cast And Crew Of Deadpool 2 Plays F**k, Marry, Kill - May 20, 2018
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Gets a Third Season From Amazon - May 20, 2018
- ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Has the Deepest of EU Cuts [Spoiler-Free Review] - May 20, 2018