The steam release of long-beloved JRPG Chrono Trigger has been plagued with bugs and complaints about its updated interfaces ever since. The game has been patched before to respond to player complaints about the changes made to the game in an attempt to modernize it, and it looks like publisher Square Enix has seen fit to patch the game yet again for similar reasons.
The patch came with a note from the publisher thanking players for the positive messages sent to them since they announced the fixes they’re adding to the game.
The biggest change is a new battle UI to re-create the look and feel of the original release rather than the updated version initially released on Steam. Also, the game will now have an option to select between optimized controller, keyboard and mouse, or mouse and touch screen controls.
The full patch notes are below.
- A new battle user interface (UI) has been added based on the look and feel of the original Chrono Trigger.
- An option has been added to select between the UI optimised for controller/keyboard mentioned above, and the current UI optimised for mouse & touch panels. This option appears in “settings” in the main menu.
- The game can now be paused during battle by using the pause button on controller, or the Space bar on the keyboard.
- Adjusted the look of playable characters on the world map to be more in-line with the original version of Chrono Trigger.
- The resolution of animated cut-scenes has been improved.
- The display area of animated cut-scenes has been increased.
- Fixed instances where the game slowed down during certain scenes.
- The Korean font has been updated.
- Other small bugs are fixed.
- Square Enix Adds One Last Update to Chrono Trigger on PC
- Square Enix Sends Another Patch to Chrono Trigger on Steam
- Square Enix Files a Trademark for the Term "Outriders" in Europe
- Leisure Suit Larry Appears to be Getting a Game on Steam
- Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV are Hosting a Crossover - December 12, 2018
- Amy Hennig to Receive Life Achievement Award at GDC 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Fallout 76 Now Under Fire for Lazy Ultrawide Mode Update - December 12, 2018
- Wintersday Festival Kicks Off in Guild Wars 2 Today - December 12, 2018
- Final Fantasy XV’s Comrades Mode Goes Solo Today - December 12, 2018