There are some roles for actors where it isn’t “if I get this role” but “when I get this role”. For actor Donald Glover that was the role of Lando Calrissian in Solo: A Star Wars Story. This was the one he needed to make happen no matter what, and at the press conference (via ComicBook.com) on Saturday he talked about making sure that destiny was realized.
“When I heard they were making these, I told my agent, ‘If they’re making anything with Lando in it, I have to be Lando,’” Glover told press during a Solo press conference Saturday. “And he was like, ‘I hear you. I don’t like your odds. That was exactly what I needed to hear. I really auditioned like it was the only role I wanted in the world. It really was.”
In an interview with ComicBook.com, Glover got the chance to speak to Billy Dee Williams and earned some praise for the role he took on.
“He said, ‘you did a good job,’ and that was all I wanted, that was all I needed,” Glover told ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview. “It definitely made me feel like I didn’t let him down, which was nice. He did such a good job, he’s such an iconic figure in that first one, in the Empire Strikes Back, so I didn’t want to let him down.”
There has been a lot of praise for both Glover and co-star Alden Ehrenreich from their older counterparts, which is a good thing. The main thing fans were worried about when it came to this movie was not being able to capture those older performances, but it sounds like both Glover and Ehrenreich managed to get the tone right while making it their own.
Summary: During an adventure into a dark criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca and encounters Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion.
Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Ron Howard, stars Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, and Thandie Newton. It will be released May 25th.
- Billy Dee Williams Reprising Lando Calrissian Role for Star Wars: Episode IX
- No, We're NOT Getting a Lando Spinoff Movie
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Review - Lando Rocks, Solo's Fine, and Star Wars Lives On [Spoiler Free]
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Producer Brad Lewis Talks Wrapping the Trilogy at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – Jay Baruchel Talks Letting Hiccup Go at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- Mortal Engines: Christian Rivers Talks Peter Jackson Mentoring Him at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- Mortal Engines: Robert Sheehan Talks Filming a Green Screen Heavy Production at NYCC - October 14, 2018
- Mortal Engines: Stephen Lang Talks His Not So Human Character at NYCC - October 13, 2018