There are some roles for actors where it isn’t “if I get this role” but “when I get this role”. For actor Donald Glover that was the role of Lando Calrissian in Solo: A Star Wars Story. This was the one he needed to make happen no matter what, and at the press conference (via ComicBook.com) on Saturday he talked about making sure that destiny was realized.
“When I heard they were making these, I told my agent, ‘If they’re making anything with Lando in it, I have to be Lando,’” Glover told press during a Solo press conference Saturday. “And he was like, ‘I hear you. I don’t like your odds. That was exactly what I needed to hear. I really auditioned like it was the only role I wanted in the world. It really was.”
In an interview with ComicBook.com, Glover got the chance to speak to Billy Dee Williams and earned some praise for the role he took on.
“He said, ‘you did a good job,’ and that was all I wanted, that was all I needed,” Glover told ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview. “It definitely made me feel like I didn’t let him down, which was nice. He did such a good job, he’s such an iconic figure in that first one, in the Empire Strikes Back, so I didn’t want to let him down.”
There has been a lot of praise for both Glover and co-star Alden Ehrenreich from their older counterparts, which is a good thing. The main thing fans were worried about when it came to this movie was not being able to capture those older performances, but it sounds like both Glover and Ehrenreich managed to get the tone right while making it their own.
Summary: During an adventure into a dark criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his future copilot Chewbacca and encounters Lando Calrissian years before joining the Rebellion.
Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Ron Howard, stars Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, and Thandie Newton. It will be released May 25th.
- No, We're NOT Getting a Lando Spinoff Movie
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Review - Lando Rocks, Solo's Fine, and Star Wars Lives On [Spoiler Free]
- Did Tom Holland Just Reveal the Title to the Spider-Man: Homecoming Sequel? - June 23, 2018
- Todd Mcfarlane Says the Production for Spawn Will Be Very Low Key - June 23, 2018
- Amber Heard Wanted a Comic-Accurate Version of Mera in Aquaman - June 22, 2018
- New Trailer for the Upcoming Thriller ‘Searching’ - June 22, 2018
- New Ant-Man and The Wasp Featurette, Plus a New TV Spot - June 22, 2018