We had a decidedly love-hate relationship with season 11 of FOX’s The X-Files. There were some lovely moments, some true Xphile (fans of the series) dream moments, but also some absolutely ridiculous WHY moments as well. Rumors have been swirling since midway through season 11 as to whether or not the network would be bringing back the show.
Series star Gillian Anderson has made no secret of her reluctance to return to the role — this could be chalked up to any number of things, but also keeping in mind that it’s been what, 20 years that she’s been playing FBI Agent Dana Katherine Scully — and series creator Chris Carter said that the show more than likely would not continue (in its present form) without her.
After the FOX bloodbath of series last week, the last two big shows we were to hear news on were Gotham and The X-Files. As of yesterday, it was revealed that the proto-Batman series was getting the pick up for a fifth and final season (which would theoretically put it into the 100 episodes needed for syndication), but no news on The X-Files.
A report this morning from Michael Ausiello of TVLine says that during a conference call this morning FOX Co-Chairman and CEO Gary Newman revealed that “there are no plans to do another season at the moment.”
Gillian responded to the piece, saying on Twitter the decision to not bring back the series was more to do with an astonishing 77% viewership drop off rate, rather than her impending exit.
Well Michael, the truth is…after exit of 77% of viewership. https://t.co/WyaHQnR3gt
— Gillian Anderson (@GillianA) May 14, 2018
TVLine goes on to say that Chris Carter told them: “I can’t imagine there wouldn’t be more X-Files, in some shape or form. I think there are lots more stories to tell and ways to tell them. I’m leaving this as a giant cliffhanger, and Gillian has announced that she’s not coming back. Hard-core X-Files fans know there have been no real endings on the show.”
As a series-long hardcore fan of the show, I would much rather it not continue at this point. I’m fine with the season 11 ender; it gave me what I needed, and I’m ready to put it to rest.
What about you — would YOU watch another season of The X-Files on FOX?
- Gillian Anderson Talks Character Catharsis in Netflix's 'Sex Education'
- Mattel Releasing Mulder, Scully Barbies for 'The X-Files' 25th Anniversary
- Alfred Pennyworth Is Getting His Own TV Series on Epix
- An Awkward Evening with David Duchovny in San Francisco
- threezerostore Unveils Special Agent Dana Scully 1/6 Scale Figure
- Let's Talk About 'The X-Files' Season 11 Finale, Episode 10
- David Duchovny Doing Twitter Q & A Right Now- 'The X-Files', 'Californication' and More-
- Let's Talk About 'The X-Files' Season 11 Episode 9, "Nothing Lasts Forever"
- David Duchovny Tweets To Gillian Anderson- Couples Goals Forever
- X-Files Season 11 Premiere- How COULD You, Chris Carter?
- The X-Files: Gillian Anderson Unveils Her Six Favorite Episodes