There has been a lot of drama concerning directors of Star Wars movies in the last year or so. Now that the release of Solo: A Star War Story is coming up, we’ll get to see whether that production ends up working out with Ron Howard. Not long after that was announced there was another shakeup when Star Wars: Episode IX director Colin Trevorrow was let go from the production. We don’t have much in the way of details, and it’ll likely be years before we know the full story — if at all. However, the Wall Street Journal did a story about the drama surrounding Star Wars and revealed a few new pieces of information about the behind-the-scenes drama.
[…] Ms. Kennedy was unhappy with drafts Mr. Trevorrow co-wrote and one written by “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” playwright Jack Thorne for him to direct. Mr. Trevorrow wasn’t satisfied with Mr. Thorne’s script either and asked to try again, the person close to Episode IX said, but Ms. Kennedy instead fired Mr. Trevorrow last August.
When Trevorrow was fired, one of the first things people wondered was whether they would ask The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson to take on another movie. At the time the fanboys hadn’t seen the movie and hadn’t yet turned on Johnson, and everyone seemed really excited. However, it was J.J. Abrams that got the job.
Lucasfilm considered rehiring Mr. Johnson, a person with knowledge of the matter said, though the director said there were no serious discussions. Instead, Mr. Abrams took the job after Ms. Kennedy called him following Mr. Trevorrow’s exit.
This wasn’t that surprising of a move. Abrams had already proved that he could give fans what they want for a Star Wars movie, and he was someone familiar with the characters, the world, and the cast.
“I had a bunch of ideas from the beginning, back on VII, of where the story would go,” said Mr. Abrams. “I just never in my wildest dreams thought I would have a chance to execute them.”
- We May Still Get a Willow Sequel, Ron Howard Says
- Harrison Ford Adorably Interrupts Alden Ehrenreich Solo Interview
- Solo: A Star Wars Story - Kathleen Kennedy Talks Working with Lawrence Kasdan
- That Kenobi Star Wars Spinoff Film May Actually Be Happening
- Jon Favreau Confirms the Time Period of His Star Wars Show
- Arrowverse Crossover Elseworlds: Fist Look at Lois Lane, Black Suited Superman, and a Poster - October 17, 2018
- Daredevil Season 3: The Return of Wilson Fisk Featurette - October 17, 2018
- Demián Bichir Has Entered Negotiations to Star in Godzilla vs. Kong - October 17, 2018
- Spider-Man: Far From Home Wraps as Tom Holland Shares Some Images - October 17, 2018
- Daredevil Season 3: New Poster Teases Matt Murdock’s Internal Conflict - October 17, 2018