After the entire fiasco with Star Wars: Battlefront II, Electronic Arts are reasonably gunshy about working out another system of microtransactions on another game before testing it on the general public. And according to a CFO at EA, Anthem will be the first game in line to not have them at launch. Tweak Town is reporting that a recent conference call between investors and EA heads revealed that the company may be holding back on online service beyond miltiplayer at launch and slowly rolling them out. Here’s a quick piece from the article.
“The real issue with Anthem is the game will be shipped in the last quarter of the year, and in the last month of that quarter, meaning we’ll probably have limited re-stocking of the title even if it’s extremely successful,” Jorgensen said in the call.
“Since it is new IP we’re being conservative in how we’re thinking about it, we’re very excited about the game, it’s extremely unique, and I think players are going to really enjoy playing it.”
But here’s the real interesting tidbit regarding Anthem’s live services:
“But we’re careful not to put too large of a forecast in there, and clearly it will impact this year as well as next year as we not only continue to sell more into the next year but as we start rolling out the live services associated with that game,” the EA CFO said.
That may be some of the best news you’ll ever hear about the game prior to seeing it at E3 this year, as it appears the company may have finally learned that basing part of your game off of making more money may not be the best solution. It does give us pause, however, that they still intend to introduce a system that could be terrible after they have your money.
- Bioware Say Anthem Will Try to Break New Ground Marrying Multiplayer and Story
- James Brown Biocomic 'Black and Proud' by Xavier Fathoux Announced by IDW
- EA are Keeping Anthem Expectations "Conservative" as it's Confirmed for March 2019
- Dragon Age 2 Comes to Xbox One Through Backwards Compatibility
- BioWare Developer Hints that Dragon Age 4 is Actually in the Works
- Fortnite YouTuber Gets Sued By Epic Games for Selling Cheats - October 15, 2018
- U.K.’s National Videogame Museum Opens Permanently in November - October 15, 2018
- Six Foot Officially Releases Dreadnought on Steam - October 15, 2018
- Disgaea 5 Complete Comes to Steam and PC Next Week - October 15, 2018
- Defiant Development Releases New DLC for Hand Of Fate 2 - October 15, 2018