In what sounds like a case of “different insect, same theme,” Showtime has secured development rights for upcoming Lord of the Flies-ish drama-thriller series Yellowjackets, Deadline Hollywood reports.
Writer-producers Ashley Lyle and Bart Nickerson (Narcos) are set to executive produce the project, described as a smart, provocative female thriller that follows the surviving members of a girls’ high school soccer team through a hellish fight for survival from the forces around them — and from forces within. The series is expected to be given the “hard R” treatment; with producer Drew Comins — via Creative Engine Entertainment — executive producing alongside Lyle and Nickerson. Comins deal is now with eOne following Mark Gordon’s transition to President/CCO of the company.
Here’s an overview of Showtime’s Yellowjackets:
In 1975, the Dearborn High Yellowjackets became the first team in state history to qualify for the Girls’ U.S. Soccer Championship Series in Manchester, NH. They never got the chance to compete. Equal parts survival epic, horror story and pitch black coming of age, Yellowjackets tells the story of the (un)lucky survivors of a plane crash deep in the Ontario wilderness, chronicling their descent from a friendly, cooperative team to warring, cannibalistic clans. At the same time, it follows the lives they’ve attempted to piece back together nearly twenty-five years later, proving that the past is never really past and what began out in the wilderness is far from over.
Lyle and Nickerson have also served as producers-writers on Netflix’s Narcos; and writers on the CW’s The Originals. As for upcoming projects from eOne, you need look no further than a pilot order at HBO for Fleabag and Killing Eve creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Vicky Jones‘ romantic comedy-thriller Run; and HBO’s upcoming limited series Sharp Objects, starring Amy Adams. For their part, Gordon and Comins have a put pilot commitment at ABC for drama Broken Record; which Meghan Trainor serving as executive producer.
- A.P. Bio Season 2: Class is Back in Session as Cast Offers Filming Updates - October 18, 2018
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Season 1: Sabrina Really Needs to Reschedule; Cast, Crew Talk Series (PREVIEW) - October 18, 2018
- Dorian: CW Adapting Oscar Wilde’s The Picture Of Dorian Gray as Female-Led Comedy Series - October 18, 2018
- The Hypnotist’s Love Story: ABC Adapting ‘Big Little Lies’ Author’s Novel; Heather Graham Stars, EP - October 18, 2018
- Black Lightning Season 2, Episode 2 – ‘The Book of Consequences: Chapter Two – Black Jesus Blues’: Facing Some Dark Truths (RECAP) - October 18, 2018