In a mash-up of media’s past, present and future, cable network FX and streaming service Hulu are teaming up with The New York Times for The Weekly. Produced in conjunction with Red Arrow Studios’ Left/Right (This American Life, The Circus), the weekly narrative docuseries will highlight key stories from the storied newspaper to tell the stories behind the headlines. The Weekly has received a minimum 30-episode commitment from FX, with the series set to premiere some time in late 2018 and Hulu streaming new episodes the day after they air on FX.
“The New York Times is synonymous with excellence and FX is honored to be chosen as their partner on what will be the first entry for both organizations into the weekly TV news business. A free press is vital to the health of our American democracy. The Weekly will give viewers compelling stories about the courage and commitment New York Times journalists bring to seeking out and reporting the truth. We also want to thank our partners at Hulu on this deal and the team at Left/Right.”
– John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks and FX Productions
The Weekly is a narrative documentary news program that will feature one or two of The New York Times’ biggest and most important visual stories each week. The series will follow the stories — and the reporters that work on them — every step of the way as they chase information, conduct interviews, etc. Though the episodes will not have a host, it will be overseen by Times Assisting Managing Editor Sam Dolnick.
“Our ambition with The Weekly is to bring the authority and excellence of New York Times journalism to the largest possible television audience. Partnering with FX and Hulu together for distribution represents an entirely new and uniquely powerful way do just that. The leadership at each of these organizations demonstrated real enthusiasm for The Weekly and for work of the Times. We are incredibly excited to work with them, and with our production partners at Left/Right, to make millions more people spend much more time with quality, original journalism.”
– Meredith Kopit Levien, chief operating officer of The New York Times Company
- The Walking Dead s09e02 ‘The Bridge’ Builds Season 9 Tension Effectively (REVIEW) - October 15, 2018
- Bring Out Your Dead 902: Bleeding Cool’s The Walking Dead Live-Blog! - October 14, 2018
- 30 Photos From NYC’s Patches & Pins Expo 2018 - October 14, 2018
- Kidding: Jeff Meets The Lipinski Sisters and Their…”Tara-keet”??? (PREVIEW) - October 13, 2018
- The Walking Dead: Is ‘The Bridge’ Between Maggie, Michonne Slowly Collapsing? (PREVIEW) - October 13, 2018