EA has announced in a financial report that Battlefield V will have a single-player campaign, seemingly going in contrast to competitor Call of Duty: Black Ops 4.
Generally speaking, we wouldn’t report on a game that has a well established single-player campaign history having a single-player component in an upcoming game, but here it feels necessary. Reports have come out, with growing conviction, that Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 will not have a traditional single-player story. That would be a huge departure for the series, and since we will see the Battlefield and Call of Duty face off once again this year, the question as to how Battlefield will treat single-player is certainly louder than usual.
Well, thanks to EA’s financial reports, we now know that DICE’s next outing will indeed have a single-player campaign. EA CEO Andrew Wilson said in the report:
With our next Battlefield game, the team at DICE is bringing the intensity of combat to life in new and unexpected ways. Every battle is unique, and every mode brings its own challenges – from the way you interact with the environment around you, to compelling single-player stories, to the next level of large-scale multiplayer that spans across multiple maps and modes.
It’s not clear what “single-player stories” means exactly, as it could be a longer campaign with DLC add-ons, the Battlefield 1 like short stories or something else entirely. At the same time though, it’s good to have the confirmation.
Of course, it is worth keeping in mind that Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 hasn’t officially stated it won’t have a single-player campaign, but if it does come to pass, the reception should be very interesting. Seeing how both games perform could be telling on just how important single-player in these type of games is to the market.
- You Will Not Be Getting Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 on the Switch
- The Big Takeaways from Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
- THQ Nordic has 35 Unannounced Projects After Acquiring Two New Studios - November 14, 2018
- Overwatch League Team Chengdu Hunters Revealed - November 13, 2018
- Ark: Survival Evolved Hit All Time Peak Players On Steam This Weekend - November 13, 2018
- Despite Activision’s Comments, Destiny 2 Director Says Bungie Aren’t Disappointed With Forsaken - November 12, 2018
- Destiny 2 is Under-Performing Says Activision - November 9, 2018