Springboarding off the sucess of series like Castlevania, Netflix is broadening its anime horizons internationally with original anime Seis Manos, Deadline Hollywood reports. Set to launch globally in 2019 from Viz Media LLC and Powerhouse Animation, Seis Manos is the streaming service’s first original anime set in Mexico.
Powerhouse CEO Brad Graeber and writer Alvaro Rodriguez (Machete, From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series) are the project’s co-creators, with Dan Dominguez (Captain Underpants, Spongebob Squarepants) also writing, and Willis Bulliner (Agents of Mayhem, Castlevania) directing.
“With over 30 years of experience bringing the best manga and anime to North America, Seis Manos will be VIZ Media’s first original animated property. We’re thrilled to bring Seis Manos to life with our partners at Netflix and Powerhouse Animation. This show combines the absolute best in action and storytelling.”
– Brad Woods, Chief Marketing Officer, VIZ Media
Seis Manos will be set in Mexico in the 1970s and focus on three orphaned martial arts warriors who join forces with a DEA agent and a Mexican Federale to battle for justice after their beloved mentor is murdered on the streets of their tiny border town.
“We’re excited to be working with such a fantastic group of animators and storytellers to produce our first original anime series set in Mexico. Our Mexican subscribers, and viewers in Latin America more broadly, have a tremendous passion for anime. We look forward to sharing this completely unique series with them, and with the growing community of anime fans around the world.”
– John Derderian, Director of Japan & Anime, Netflix
Here’s a look at Powerhouse Animation’s Castlevania for Netflix:
When his wife is burned at the stake after being falsely accused of witchcraft, the vampire Count Vlad Dracula Tepes declares all the people of Wallachia will pay with their lives. His army of monsters and demons overruns the country, causing the people to live lives of fear and distrust. To combat this, the disgraced demon hunter Trevor Belmont takes up arms against Dracula’s forces, aided by the magician Sypha Belnades and Dracula’s half-vampire son Alucard.
- A New Character Confirmed for Netflix's Castlevania by Adi Shankar
- Netflix Debuts a New Trailer for Castlevania's Second Season
- VIZ Media Scores 3 Major Acquisitions During Anime Expo 2018
- Netflix Confirms Castlevania Season 2 Will Premiere in October
- Netflix's Castlevania Set To Return Before Year's End
- Castle Rock Season 1, Episode 6 ‘Filter’ Review: “This Place Was His Church” - August 16, 2018
- USA Network Orders Bourne Franchise Spinoff ‘Treadstone’ Direct to Series - August 16, 2018
- TNT Orders ‘The Alienist’ Follow-Up Limited Series ‘The Angel of Darkness’ - August 16, 2018
- ‘Locke & Key’ EP Carlton Cuse: Hulu Passing Was a “Painful” Experience - August 16, 2018
- New ‘American Horror Story: Apocalypse’ Teasers Show Life in Decay - August 16, 2018