Gotta catch ’em all, indeed. We learned something new and kind of disturbing this week from the original Pokémon developers and designers Ken Sugimori and Atsuko Nishida — they revealed a secret about Pikachu that probably should have been left unsaid.
It’s already common knowledge among players that you can evolve Pikachu into Raichu in the game (yes, there’s Pichu too, but it wasn’t in the original games), but there was originally supposed to be a third evolution called Gorochu. It looked a little something like the design below, described as having fangs and a pair of horns. The word got out during an interview with Yomiuri where they were going over their work on the original game.
The news has been out for a few days now, but the internet is freaking out about it so much that it’s even become a trending topic on Twitter. People are both excited that this news exists but are also terrified that (while it isn’t official artwork) this is what the adorable mascot they’ve come to know and love would have transformed into. We personally think you should get over it, because in the lore of Pokémon — once a creature evolves, so too does its personality. Why do you think Charmander was so cute and happy with Ash in the anime series, but then became a total jerk as Charizard? So take comfort that the demon spawn above is actually not Pikachu, and hey, maybe now they’ll throw him in the game.
- Federal Trade Commission Threatens Legal Action Against Console Makers
- Zelda Fans- The Jewelry Of Your Dreams Is Here (And Its Expensive)
- Review: Detective Pikachu's Plot is Its Only Saving Grace
- Pokémon GO is Setting Up to Add Regional Raid Bosses
- Scott Deckert Joins the Cast of Venom
- Omar Chaparro Joins the Cast of Detective Pikachu
- Pokémon GO Launches the Kanto Event in the U.S.
- SoulCalibur VI Will Receive a Beta Next Week - September 22, 2018
- Torbjörn is Receiving a Massive Overhaul in the Next Overwatch Patch - September 22, 2018
- Fortnite Gears Up for Season 6 and the Impending Fall Skirmish - September 20, 2018
- Sony Is Getting Out of the Handheld Gaming Business - September 20, 2018
- Kamehameha! We Review Razer’s Dragon Ball FighterZ Panthera Arcade Stick - September 20, 2018