Blizzard has reported in a conference call that the Overwatch League is doing very well, with a growing audience of millions and new teams coming in the next year.
The Overwatch League was a big risk before it started early this year. The plan Blizzard had put in motion was easily one of the most ambitious coordinated esports endeavours ever, with a consistent and gruelling schedule, huge money being invested and the plan to tie teams to cities. However, worries about the sheer magnitude of the beast have subsided as the league seems to be sustainable and doing well.
It’s only getting bigger too, in every sense of the word. Speaking in a conference call, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaim said the company’s expectations had been exceeded by the launch of the league and that ”millions” of fans are tuning in every week, each user spending over an hour viewing the games.
More importantly though, Morhaim said that the league expects to expand its roster soon too. Within the next year, Blizzard intends to add more teams, with global spots being hotly contested. Negotiations have already begun.
New teams joining the league is a very exciting prospect, but not without complexities. There are many great players not currently signed to teams, but one would imagine these teams would be operating with a lesser roster pool. Also, new teams will mean more games for an already long esports season. There are definitely new things to be worked out, but I can’t wait to see the league grow. It’s been fantastic so far.
- Overwatch Adds Special Pink Mercy Skin for Breast Cancer Research Foundation
- Overwatch League's Boston Uprising Parts Ways With Coach
- Overwatch Makes a Few Character Updates in Latest Patch
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Sold 3 Million Copies in 11 Days in the US - December 18, 2018
- Grab a Free Copy of Subnautica on the Epic Store Over the Holidays - December 18, 2018
- Anthem Shows Off the Legion of Dawn in New Trailer - December 14, 2018
- DayZ is Now Out of Early Access and You Can Play it For Free This Weekend - December 14, 2018
- Marvel’s Spider-Man’s Final DLC Gets Release Date – Will Have Into the Spider Verse Suit - December 13, 2018