Michelle Monaghan (Source Code) is joining modern-day prophet series Messiah, Netflix‘s upcoming ten-episode series co-starring Tyrant‘s Mehdi Dehbi and written by Michael Petroni (The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader). Ordered to series in November 2017, Petroni and Mark Burnett (Survivor) are set to executive produce alongside Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel), Andrew Deane (Fire with Fire), and James McTeigue (V for Vendetta); with McTeigue also directing.
“Messiah is a series that will have the audience asking big questions. What if someone showed up in 2018 amid strange occurrences and was thought to be the Messiah? What would society do? How would the media cover him? Would millions simply quit work? Could government’s collapse? It’s a series that could change everything.”
– Downey and Burnett (joint statement)
Messiah chronicles the modern world’s reaction to a man who first appears in the Middle East creating a movement of followers around him claiming he is the Messiah. Dehbi stars as Al Masih, an enigma with mysterious origins. People are unsure if he is a divine messenger or a political rabble-rouser. When he disappears from an Israeli interrogation cell with no explanation, his legend begins to grow. Messiah is told from multiple vanatge points, from a young CIA agent and an Israeli Shin Bet officer; to a Latino preacher and his Texan daughter, a Palestinian refugee and the media.
Monaghan will play Eva Geller, a highly specialized US intelligence officer who pits her wits and years of experience against Al-Masih. The character is described as whip smart, tenacious and determined to prove she is right, Eva literally goes to the ends of the earth to prosecute this allusive figure while running headlong into the truth about her own moral convictions.
“’Messiah’ promises to be a fascinating series for viewers of every faith, and a thrilling drama filled with multi-layered characters set on a global stage.”
– Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content, Netflix
- John Malkovich’s Hercule Poirot Investigates ‘The ABC Murders’ for BBC One - May 23, 2018
- Siren Season 1, Episode 9 ‘Street Fight’ Review: A Shot Across Bristol Cove’s Bow - May 23, 2018
- Hulu Developing ‘The House of the Spirits’ Series from Isabel Allende Novel - May 23, 2018
- Tyrant’s Keon Alexander Jumping to Doug Liman Series ‘Impulse’ for YouTube Red - May 23, 2018
- ABC Expands Good Morning America to 3 Hours; The Chew Given Last Meal - May 23, 2018