The Force in the Flesh is turning 10 years old this year, and to help celebrate they have created a new Kickstarter to help publish a new edition of the first volume.
Star Wars and tattoos go together like PB&J, in my travels I have seen quite a lot of awesome Star Wars body art. I have flipped through the original edition of this book at a friend’s house (I never have been able to track down my own copy), and it is pretty amazing. The Tenth Anniversary Edition sports a new cover by artist Adam Hays, comes in a slipcover to house both volumes (if you have Volume 2), and backer rewards include shirts, skate decks, art books, and all sorts of other neat stuff. Check it all out here on the Kickstarter page, where you can also back the project.
In 2007 Shane Turgeon published a book that defied genres; a book that shone a light on a niche subculture within two already niche subcultures: Star Wars fandom and tattooing; a book that influenced an entirely new generation of tattoo artists.
It’s hard to believe but at the time, the subject was nowhere near as mainstream as it is today. Through brilliant photos and biographies of over 40 collectors and artists, The Force in the Flesh: Star Wars Inspired Body Art helped bring the culture of Star Wars tattoos to the prominent forefront of fandom they now occupy and further cemented it’s place in history with a second volume in 2015.
As both volumes were 100% self-published, funded and distributed, quantities of both books were limited. As a result, Volume One is long out of print and one of the questions Turgeon asked the most is where can someone purchase one. Sadly, the answer is nowhere.
By reprinting Volume One in a 10th Anniversary Edition he hopes to satisfy that demand for both old and new fans of the series. Not only that, but this edition features a new cover by tattoo artist Adam Hays that matches the cover style he designed for Volume Two (and a forthcoming Volume Three to be released in 2021), a slipcase set available with Volume Two and a new retrospective publication that re-interviews 15 of the folks originally featured in Volume One, ten years on, and brings us up to speed with what they’ve been up to. And trust us, some of them have gotten up to some pretty awesome stuff!
The 10th Anniversary Edition is being funded via Kickstarter starting May 1st, 2018 and Turgeon has put together a selection of amazing backer rewards including exclusive items and some long out of print collectibles and publications he’s been a part of creating.
- [#MayThe4th] Solo: A Star Wars Story Tickets On Sale At Midnight EST
- Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy VII were Inducted into the Video Game Hall of Fame
- Fortnite Players are Using In-Game Green Screens to Make Fan Films
- David Tennant Robert Sheehan Dean Devlin Bad Samaritan Interview
- Chris Pratt Confirms That Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 Films Next Year
- Overlord Director Teaming Up with J.J. Abrams for a Superhero Thriller
- Report: FX Picks Up 'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series For 10 Episode Season
- Cast of Henry Danger Do Their First Comic Con Together, in California
- Moulin Rouge! The Musical Releases "Come What May" Music Video
- Batman Your Kitchen With These New Seven 20 Products - December 13, 2018
- Magneto Gets a New Sixth Scale Figure From Sideshow Collectibles - December 13, 2018
- Greg Kinnear Will Enter Jordan Peele’s Twilight Zone - December 13, 2018
- Friday The 13th Part 3 Corpse Pamela Voorhees Figure Coming From NECA - December 13, 2018
- Riverdale Season 3, Episode 8 Recap: “Outbreak” - December 13, 2018