Looks like America voted, ABC, and you have… a winner on your hands! The network announced on Friday that singing competition series American Idol would be returning for a second season, with Ryan Seacrest and judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie also set to return. According to Deadline Hollywood, the announcement comes as a positive ending to the rocky process of getting American Idol back on the air, which resulted in the network closing a deal in 2017 with FremantleMedia North America and CORE Media Group’s 19 Entertainment for the revival.
“We knew that American Idol on ABC would unleash an opportunity for singers from all walks of life to realize their dreams and that these incredible contestants would have America rooting for their success. I am thrilled that Katy, Luke, Lionel and Ryan will be back to once again embark on this Idol journey with us to discover the next crop of inspiring talent.” – Channing Dungey, President, ABC Entertainment
Since its debut, American Idol has been a strong ratings draw for the network, finishing as Sunday’s top-ranked entertainment broadcast series on each of its eight telecasts this season in the Live + Same Day Adults 18-49 demo. On average, the series ranks first in its two-hour slot with the following demos: Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, across all key Women (W18-34/W18-49/W25-54) and Teens 12-17.
“’American Idol’’s return on ABC has shown once again that viewers love to discover and support raw talent. Our new judges Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie have brought huge credibility, energy and fun to the show this year, and we are so excited to continue the journey with Ryan Seacrest at the helm in the search for the next superstar.”
– Trish Kinane, President of Entertainment Programming, FremantleMedia North America; Executive Producer/Showrunner, American Idol
American Idol‘s final seven contestants will compete in this Sunday’s live coast-to-coast broadcast on ABC, beginning at 8 p.m. ET/7 p.m./CT/5 p.m. PT. There will also be a rebroadcast of the episode for West Coast viewers beginning at 8 p.m. PT.
“Our team is incredibly proud of the success we have had with ‘American Idol’ on ABC, and we are excited to search for more talent nationwide with a second season. We look forward to furthering our relationship with the network, our partners at FremantleMedia, Luke, Katy, Lionel, Ryan, and all those who audition to become the next American Idol as we continue to entertain fans with incredible performances week after week!”
– Dennis Miller, Executive Chairman, CORE Media Group
- John Malkovich’s Hercule Poirot Investigates ‘The ABC Murders’ for BBC One - May 23, 2018
- Siren Season 1, Episode 9 ‘Street Fight’ Review: A Shot Across Bristol Cove’s Bow - May 23, 2018
- Hulu Developing ‘The House of the Spirits’ Series from Isabel Allende Novel - May 23, 2018
- Tyrant’s Keon Alexander Jumping to Doug Liman Series ‘Impulse’ for YouTube Red - May 23, 2018
- ABC Expands Good Morning America to 3 Hours; The Chew Given Last Meal - May 23, 2018