Ten times Oscar nominated (1 win) composer Hans Zimmer has really come into his own as the great ambassador for film music. That’s not to say that other composers haven’t been doing the same for a very long time, but he’s certainly doing it the most recently.
In a roundtable discussion from Spitfire Audio, the British music technology company founded in 2007 by composers Christian Henson and Paul Thomson, Zimmer gathered some of his business buddies with wine and charcuterie to discuss their work.
The group of seven (from left) Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Pacific Rim) Jacob Shea (Blue Planet II), Henry Jackman (X-Men: First Class, Man in the High Castle), Hans Zimmer (everything, pretty much), Ben Wallfisch (Blade Runner: 2049, IT), Zimmer collaborator Andy Page (Dunkirk, The Martian), and David Fleming (Blue Planet II) talk about every aspect of their current work.
They touch on several subject, like the bane of their existence (temp music), and the use of technology.
“Cool people don’t play loud,” Zimmer says, talking about studio performances from long-time players. He’s full of wisdom and stories, and very much still approaches his chosen life’s work as anything but.
“Remember, the operative word in music is play. You play music. All we try to do is get better at being playful. It might not be the worst way to live your life. I keep looking at people who don’t play music and I’m saying, “Just because you don’t play music doesn’t mean you can’t go and take a little bit of that onboard. Make it playful. Make it an adventure. Make it stand of the abyss of the blank page and see what happens.”
The video is long (almost two hours), but if you’re at all interested in scoring, it’s something you should watch.
- Incredulous Rumor: 'Blade Runner 2049', the TV Series?!?
- Report: Composer Hildur Gudnadottir to Score Todd Phillips's Joker Movie
- Report: Will Hans Zimmer Score 'Wonder Woman 1984'?
- HBO, Columbia Records Release Game of Thrones-Inspired Album for Final Season
- Jason Momoa, Benioff, Weiss, and Guinness – Will the Khal Ride Again?
- Johnnie Walker Announces Game of Thrones Scotch White Walker Coming This Fall
- Albert Pujols Becomes The 32nd Player With 3,000 Hits
- Star Wars The Black Series Admiral Piett Up for Order Now
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Friday, May 4
- May the 4th: Two New Mondo Mike Mitchell Star Wars Prints!
- Funko Round-Up: Squirrel Girl, Gargoyles, and Black Phillip!
- Evan Peters Says Hans Zimmer Will Score Dark Phoenix
- The Christopher Nolan 4K Box Set Is Unreal, In The Best Ways
- Blade Runner 2049 On 4K- The Ultimate Visual And Aural Home Experience
- Hans Zimmer Live, The Composer's Orchestral Rock Concert
- Blade Runner 2049 Gains Composer Hans Zimmer
- Junkie XL Responds To Being Replaced By Danny Elfman On 'Justice League'
- Tina Guo Releases New Wonder Woman Theme Video
- 'Score' Is A Documentary For The OST Nerd In All Of Us
- 5 Images from BBC One’s ‘Les Misèrables’ Adaptation - October 16, 2018
- 2019’s ‘The Simpsons’ Treehouse of Horror XXX will be Episode 666 - October 16, 2018
- Eminem Performs Title ‘Venom’ Track at Empire State Building - October 16, 2018
- Lets Talk About Good Eats: Reloaded and Alton Brown - October 15, 2018
- Peter Dinklage Talks Post-Game of Thrones Life, and Tyrion’s Final Day - October 15, 2018