Ten times Oscar nominated (1 win) composer Hans Zimmer has really come into his own as the great ambassador for film music. That’s not to say that other composers haven’t been doing the same for a very long time, but he’s certainly doing it the most recently.
In a roundtable discussion from Spitfire Audio, the British music technology company founded in 2007 by composers Christian Henson and Paul Thomson, Zimmer gathered some of his business buddies with wine and charcuterie to discuss their work.
The group of seven (from left) Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones, Pacific Rim) Jacob Shea (Blue Planet II), Henry Jackman (X-Men: First Class, Man in the High Castle), Hans Zimmer (everything, pretty much), Ben Wallfisch (Blade Runner: 2049, IT), Zimmer collaborator Andy Page (Dunkirk, The Martian), and David Fleming (Blue Planet II) talk about every aspect of their current work.
They touch on several subject, like the bane of their existence (temp music), and the use of technology.
“Cool people don’t play loud,” Zimmer says, talking about studio performances from long-time players. He’s full of wisdom and stories, and very much still approaches his chosen life’s work as anything but.
“Remember, the operative word in music is play. You play music. All we try to do is get better at being playful. It might not be the worst way to live your life. I keep looking at people who don’t play music and I’m saying, “Just because you don’t play music doesn’t mean you can’t go and take a little bit of that onboard. Make it playful. Make it an adventure. Make it stand of the abyss of the blank page and see what happens.”
The video is long (almost two hours), but if you’re at all interested in scoring, it’s something you should watch.
- Johnnie Walker Announces Game of Thrones Scotch White Walker Coming This Fall
- Albert Pujols Becomes The 32nd Player With 3,000 Hits
- Star Wars The Black Series Admiral Piett Up for Order Now
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Friday, May 4
- May the 4th: Two New Mondo Mike Mitchell Star Wars Prints!
- Funko Round-Up: Squirrel Girl, Gargoyles, and Black Phillip!
- Evan Peters Says Hans Zimmer Will Score Dark Phoenix
- The Christopher Nolan 4K Box Set Is Unreal, In The Best Ways
- Blade Runner 2049 On 4K- The Ultimate Visual And Aural Home Experience
- Hans Zimmer Live, The Composer's Orchestral Rock Concert
- Blade Runner 2049 Gains Composer Hans Zimmer
- Junkie XL Responds To Being Replaced By Danny Elfman On 'Justice League'
- Tina Guo Releases New Wonder Woman Theme Video
- 'Score' Is A Documentary For The OST Nerd In All Of Us
- Report: Amazon Studios May Be Saving The Expanse for Season 4 - May 21, 2018
- Watch: Steve Martin and Martin Short Netflix Comedy Special Trailer - May 21, 2018
- Netflix and the Obamas Sign Multi-Year Deal for Various Series and Specials - May 21, 2018
- Donald Glover on Lando’s Orientation: “How Can You Not Be Pansexual in Space?” - May 21, 2018
- Let’s Talk About Sweetbitter Season 1, Episode 3, ‘Everyone Is Soigné’ - May 21, 2018