Xbox boss Phil Spencer has said it is unlikely that Microsoft first party games will be trying to hop on the genre bandwagon.
It feels like after this upcoming E3, we might be reaching critical mass when it comes to battle royale. The expectation is that to jump onto the Fortnite and PUBG bandwagon, we will see more major publishers getting in on the action, including Call of Duty and Battlefield. It’s not hard to see why either, as the popularity of the genre really is quite massive.
Well, it seems we know one major publisher who won’t be getting in on things. Xbox boss Phil Spencer has said that it is unlikely we will see a first party battle royale game from Microsoft. Talking to a fan on twitter who asked about such a game, Spencer said he doesn’t want to make a game like that just to copy others. He said:
Millions are playing BR games right now. I don’t want to just build one because others have built them. FNBR is massive, PUBG is huge, new BR variants being built by some very quality devs, I’d rather support unless we find something special in 1P that’s a different take.
— Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) April 29, 2018
Of course, this does leave the door open for a game in the future if the right idea comes along, or perhaps even a mode in an existing game. Could Halo 6 feature battle royale? I must admit, that’s not the experience I come to Halo for, but it could be fun. At the very least, it’s good to know Microsoft isn’t chasing after the genre dragon.
- Microsoft Appears to Be Building a New Santa Monica Team
- Fortnite Releases Patch Notes for Season 4 Update
- Epic Games Launches Fortnite Season 4 with New Trailer
- TotalBiscuit Announces Critic Retirement After an Update on His Health
- PUBG Mobile Might Have as Many Players as Fortnite - December 19, 2018
- Overwatch Gets an Adorable Stop-Motion Holiday Animation - December 19, 2018
- Angry Birds is Coming to VR Next Year - December 19, 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Sold 3 Million Copies in 11 Days in the US - December 18, 2018
- Grab a Free Copy of Subnautica on the Epic Store Over the Holidays - December 18, 2018