The game of executive musical chairs continues at IDW Publishing, where former Hasbro Group Editor John Barber has been hired as new Editor-in-Chief (after a two-year stint as a writer). THR first reported the news, which follows the departure of former Editor-in-Chief Chris Ryall in March. Additionally, Anita Frazier has joined the company as Vice President of Sales and Marketing. Frazier has previously worked at DC Comics, Sony Pictures, and Vivendi Games.
“To me, the title of editor in chief has a resonance — and a legacy — in comics,” said Barber of his promotion. “It’s something to live up to, a position I find pretty inspiring. So I don’t know if I can really express my excitement at being back at IDW in this new role. As editor in chief, I’m in a position to help guide the company into a new era, working with our creators and our partners to make the best comics out there. IDW has some of the biggest and most fun properties in pop culture under our publishing umbrella, and I think some of the stuff we already have planned for the future will spin some heads. The comics world is constantly changing, and IDW’s always changed with the times — keeping its core values and looking toward tomorrow. And being right in the thick of that is just where I want to be.”
Other recent changes at IDW include Ted Adams stepping down as Publisher last November, PR Manager Steven Scott leaving at the same time as Ryall, and Sarah Gaydos bailing for Oni Press earlier this month. Ryall later took a job at Skybound.
- First Look at DC Super Hero Girls Cartoon from Lauren Faust - May 21, 2018
- Check Out Amanda Conner and Dave Johnson’s Variant for Plastic Man #1 - May 21, 2018
- G. Willow Wilson on Gatekeeping Ms. Marvel’s Entry to the Marvel Cinematic Universe - May 21, 2018
- Terry Blas and Claudia Aguirre’s Hotel Dare Brings Magical All-Ages Amenities to BOOM! in 2019 - May 21, 2018
- Report: WWE’s Deal with Fox for SmackDown is Worth $1 Billion, but Show Might Go to 3 Hours - May 21, 2018