Disney really loves revisiting their classic animated offerings in an updated live action form. One of the upcoming examples of this, Christopher Robin, at least takes a different approach rather than just retelling the existing story.
The new film stars Ewan McGregor as a grown-up Christopher Robin, friend of Winnie the Pooh and the other inhabitants of the 100 Acre Wood. He’s an adult, with a wife and family, living in London following the end of World War II.
This isn’t the story we thought we were going to get though, considering Christopher Robin was a real person — the son of author Milne — just happens to have some cuddly imaginary friends.
“In those older stories, [Christopher Robin] purveys a lot of wisdom through the way he deals with Pooh. Pooh and Eeyore run through a lot of philosophical questions, and Christopher Robin is there to answer them somehow,” McGregor said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “And I think, largely, he’s just lost any of that childish wisdom and he’s a bit stuck. He’s just very work-minded and doesn’t have any time for play. I suppose that’s what the film is about: finding his relationship with his younger self again.”
“I like that about him, that he is fighting for a greater good, not just for his own ego,” McGregor continued. “It made sense, if he’d been through the war experience, he would just have experienced being responsible, literally, for men’s lives. And now he’s come back and he’s responsible for men and women’s livelihoods.”
Needless to say, the trailer was surprising, and we’re curious to see how the film plays out.
Disney’s Christopher Robin hits theaters on August 3rd 2018.
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Saturday, April 28
- Avengers: Infinity War Blu-Ray Steelbook Already Up For Preorder
- Disney Lays out Movie Release Slate, Confirms Some Things at CinemaCon
- Watch: First Teaser Trailer for Disney's Christopher Robin
- First Poster for Disney's Christopher Robin, Trailer Debuts Tomorrow
- Another Vampire Lestat Book Coming from Anne Rice this October - August 18, 2018
- How About ‘The Crown’, But Reimagined as a Cop Show? - August 18, 2018
- What Does Chevy Chase’s ‘Fletch’ Have to Do with ‘Stranger Things’ Season 3? - August 18, 2018
- We Almost Had a Michelle Pfeiffer ‘Catwoman’ Spinoff Film - August 17, 2018
- Tom Vaughan-Lawlor (Ebony Maw) Talks Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - August 17, 2018