11 Bit Studios has revealed that their critically acclaimed bleak city builder Frostpunk has sold 250,000 copies since it launched on Tuesday. The reason that sales figure is significant is because selling 250,000 copies means the studio has recovered all of their development and marketing costs. Thus, the game is now out of the red and slowly inching into the black by earning the small Polish dev studio some tidy profits.
In response to the news, the studio’s CEO Grzegorz Miechowski released the following statement, “We had plans for the expansions, and now we’re 100% sure we are doing that, including many free updates.”
So if you enjoy some in-depth city-building with a side of crushing depression, you’ll soon have even more Frostpunk to enjoy.
If you haven’t played the game, or want some background into what makes it so crushingly depressing, the official description should shed some light on that:
Frostpunk is a brand-new title from the creators of This War of Mine. It’s a society survival game that asks what people are capable of when pushed to the brink of extinction. In an entirely frozen world, people develop steam-powered technology to oppose the overwhelming cold. The city’s ruler has to manage both the citizens and the infrastructure they live in. The leader’s tactical skills face challenges that will frequently question morality and the basic foundations of what we consider organized society. Optimization and resource management often clash with empathy and thoughtful decision-making. While city and society management will consume most of the ruler’s time, at some point exploration of the outside world is necessary to understand its history and present state.
What decisions will you make to ensure the survival of your society? What will you do when pushed to the limit? And…
…who will you become in the process?
- This War of Mine: Stories Receives New DLC with "The Last Broadcast"
- Frostpunk Receives a New Update That Includes a New Content Roadmap
- TotalBiscuit Announces Critic Retirement After an Update on His Health
- Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV are Hosting a Crossover - December 12, 2018
- Amy Hennig to Receive Life Achievement Award at GDC 2019 - December 12, 2018
- Fallout 76 Now Under Fire for Lazy Ultrawide Mode Update - December 12, 2018
- Wintersday Festival Kicks Off in Guild Wars 2 Today - December 12, 2018
- Final Fantasy XV’s Comrades Mode Goes Solo Today - December 12, 2018