While Fortnite as an esport is still in the early days, and therefore rather unstructured, DOTA 2‘s Team Secret has decided to put together a team for the game. That team includes a player still in middle school, which was a surprise to Team Secret CEO John Yao.
Yao started the team already because he wanted to get the best players before Epic announces an official league. “Our guess is that Epic Games is also going to announce something and get behind the esports scene,” Yao told ESPN. “And so, before everybody else jumps in and all the good players get signed up, we wanted to make a preemptive strike.”
Yao has chosen players from Norway, the UK, and Latvia to fill out his team. However, the UK player on the team, Kyle “Mongraal” Jackson, is a bit younger than originally thought.
“I actually had no idea he was 13 until the team told me,” Yao said. “Because when we looked at some of the videos and we looked at their game play, it was not apparent. What immediately stood out to me was how mature he was, and he sounded just like one of the other guys.”
Mongraal has been playing games since he was nine years old and got involved in the Call of Duty scene, and has only moved over to Fortnite recently.
As Epic Games has yet to launch an official Fortnite League, Team Secret will be entering any informal tournaments that will pop up for the game as they wait.
- ESL Set to Have a Major Presence at E3 2018
- Fortnite Now Teasing Fans With New Skins as Meteors Rain Down
- Tweet by Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Devs Has Sparked Pick 10 Rumors
- Epic Games Pursuing Lawsuit Against a 14-Year-Old Fortnite Cheater
- ESP Gaming Acquires PUBG Tournament Providor Auzom
- A 13-Year-Old Gets an Esports Contract to Play Fortnite
- Why Post Malone Streaming Blackout Won’t Increase Call of Duty’s Popularity - October 19, 2018
- Marvel Battle Lines Will Not Include the Liefeld Captain America Cover - October 19, 2018
- Final Fantasy XIV Gets Spooky with the All Saint’s Wake Event - October 18, 2018
- Here is Everything You Need to Know About Battletech: Flashpoint - October 18, 2018
- Dauntless Reveals its New Riftstalker Behemoth and Dark Harvest Event - October 18, 2018