Sony Chairman Tom Rothman announced at the tail end of Sony’s presentation during the first day of CinemaCon today in Las Vegas that Jumanji 3 has a release date.
“Don’t give all your screens to Star Wars,” Rothman said, after revealing Christmas of 2019 as the official release date for the follow up to Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle which released earlier this year.
The Jumanji reboot holds the distinction of being the highest grossing film at the domestic box office for the studio with a gross of $404.1 million, overtaking the previous high Sony earner, Spider-Man that made $403.7 million. It was actually the fifth highest grossing film of 2017 overall, which is pretty impressive considering the other entrants.
Welcome To The Jungle starred Dwayne The Rock Johnson (congrats to his family btw, Lauren Hashian gave birth on Monday morning to the couple’s second daughter, Tiana Gia Johnson), Karen Gillan, Jack Black,and Kevin Hart.
There has been some talk that the main cast will probably return. Writers Scott Rosenberg and Jeff Pinkner were reportedly in negotiations to pen the three-quel, at least according to Deadline back in February. The outlet even went so far as to say that Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle director Jake Kasdan was likely to return as well.
We’ll let you know when more information is available.
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Latest Skyscraper Trailer Is Here!
- Posters for Jumanji 3, Men in Black Reboot, and Shazam! from Vegas Licensing Expo
- Happy Birthday, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
- The Rock Teases Team-up With Chris Pratt, "I Have An Idea"
- Disney Lays out Movie Release Slate, Confirms Some Things at CinemaCon
- #CinemaCon2018- New Ant-Man and Wasp Poster Before Disney Presentation
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle's Gag Reel is Almost Better Than the Movie
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle Writers to Return for the Sequel
- Yes Really: ‘The Last Sharknado’ May Be The Best Sharknado - August 19, 2018
- Best Evan Rachel Wood Reaction Moment Comes While Playing Heads Up! - August 19, 2018
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Shares 4 BTS Photos For World Photography Day - August 19, 2018
- ‘Shades of Blue’ is Ending, but Ray Liotta Doesn’t Want it to - August 19, 2018
- What Does Ron D. Moore Think About ‘Star Trek’ Fatigue? - August 19, 2018