Are you still reeling from the news of Universal FanCon going the way of the dodo? The fandom community has come together in some pretty amazing ways the past few days, and something wonderful has happened. The Nerds of Color and Black Heroes Matter have come together to create an event for those affected by FanCon’s sudden postponement: WICOMICON! This pop-up con will be held on April 28th at 1100 Wicomico Street in Baltimore. According to the amazing group putting this show on:
“This week, diverse pop culture fans from all over the world will be coming to Baltimore en masse looking to celebrate their fandom and their communities. Unfortunately, for many of these people, their plans have abruptly changed due to the cancellation of Universal FanCon. Fortunately, the WICOMICON Pop-Up 2018 is here to #SaveTheDay!
The name ‘Wicomico’ is derived from the Algonquin words meaning ‘a place where homes are built.’ Housed in a historic building at 1100 Wicomico Street in Baltimore, MD, WICOMICON 2018 will be a home for fans and artists left homeless by the postponement of FanCon.
Featuring some of the most acclaimed names in the comic book, arts, and entertainment industries, WICOMICON 2018 will open its doors starting at 10am on Saturday, April 28 and run until 7pm. In addition to dozens of exhibitors, this unique pop-up convention will also feature panels, cosplay contests, surprise guests, and a wide variety of food options. Admission at the door will be only $10 ($5 for FanCon ticket holders) and free for children under 12.
Please visit hardnocmedia.com/popup for more information on how to be a part of WICOMICON on Saturday, April 28 from 10am to 7pm.”
We will also be keeping you up to date on other happenings in the wake of this cancelled show.
— The Nerds of Color (@TheNerdsofColor) April 21, 2018
- TERA’s Summer Festival Event Officially Kicks Off Next Week
- Just Keep Swimming to Get These Limited-Edition Finding Nemo Pins - July 29, 2018
- Q+A with Matt Ellison, Senior Producer on LEGO DC Super-Villains - July 29, 2018
- War Machine Marketing’s Ro Kohli Talks Pantera Mini Guitars, Custom Toys, and More! - July 29, 2018
- A Perfect Han and Leia Close Out Our Last Cosplay Shots from SDCC 2018 - July 27, 2018
- Barzinga with Bleeding Cool’s Kaitlyn Booth: San Diego Comic-Con Aftermath - July 27, 2018