Revival Productions has announced that their six-degree-of-freedom tunnel shooter Overload will launch on PC for Windows, Mac, and Linux on May 31st. The game will retail for $34.99 USD. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game will release in Q3 2018, likely in September or October for that pre-Holiday rush.
The game was developed by the creators of the critically acclaimed ’90s classic Descent, so fans of that game should have some idea of what to expect from Overload. Developer Revival Productions was founded by Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas, who were both co-founders of Parallax Software. Overload will be the first game produced by Revival. It’s designed to be a combination of typical modern FPS improvements with that classic 6-DOF gameplay Descent was known for.
“We started Overload as a nostalgic homage to Descent, but it’s really grown into something more. We were able to create a deep story with voice, a new challenge mode, and add VR support. And all this on top of graphics and sound we could only dream about 20 years ago,” said Kulas. Toschlog added, “It’s been a blast creating this game, and we especially value the relationships we’ve formed with our Kickstarter backers and Early Access players.”
Gameplay features for Overload include:
- 15 level single-player campaign plus secret levels
- Numerous level challenges including lava, forcefields, lockdowns, ambushes, and secret rooms
- 20 terrifying robot enemies, plus Super-Robots and Variants as well as three bosses
- Multiplayer with public and private matches
- Challenge mode (with two variants) and 12 Challenge Mode levels
- Story by the writer of FreeSpace 2 with fully-voiced audio (only in English, sadly)
- Adrenaline-pumping soundtrack to get you in the mood
- Optional training level for refining your piloting skills (a feature I will greatly require)
- Achievements and Leaderboards
- Upgrades and XP system and advanced player stats
- Automap and Holo-guide for navigation assistance
- Save anywhere
- Six difficulty levels ranging from a casual challenge to very punishing
- Support for mouse, keyboard, gamepad, and joystick controls
- Surround sound audio options
- Virtual reality support for Oculus and vive
- Interface and Subtitle available in English, French, German, Spanish, and Russian
- Post launch: release of Level editor and support for user-created levels and campaigns
And of course, there’s an announcement trailer for you that you can watch below.