Yes, folks, prepare yourselves for another take on the famous detective, Sherlock Holmes — only this time with a major twist. HBO Asia and Hulu Japan are premiering Miss Sherlock on Friday, April 27th, and it will star Yuko Takeuchi and Shihori Kanjiya as the equivalent of Sherlock and Dr. Watson. While not the first time Dr. Watson has been portrayed by an Asian person (Lucy Liu in CBS’s Elementary) this is definitely the first time both protagonists are being played by women on screen, and Asian women at that!
There have been no shortage of Sherlock Holmes remakes and interpretations over the years, most recently with BBC’s Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, the aforementioned CBS Elementary with Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, or the Guy Ritchie films with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law.
It looks like we should expect a more modern interpretation, with fans having to do a little detective work themselves to find the homages to the original series. Whether it’s the change in setting to Japan or the casting of two women as the leads, this version will provide something different for sure.
This show also marks the first Japanese production to be featured on HBO Asia. While at present it will only be exclusively available in 20 markets in Asia, one hopes it will find success and be picked up by their western HBO counterparts.
- Can Kevin Kreider Prove Asian Men Are Attractive in 'The Ugly Model'?
- Crazy Rich Asians Trailer Debuts
- New Era 2018 NFL Draft Hats Available Now, Not the Greatest Ever
- Robert Downey Jr. Confirms He Still Wants to do a Third Sherlock Holmes Movie
- Miss Sherlock: HBO Asia Presents Gender-Swapped Remake of Sherlock
- HBO’s Fahrenheit 451 – More Simmer Than Burn [Spoilers] - May 19, 2018
- Into the Badlands EXCLUSIVE Clip ‘Carry Tiger to Mountain’ - May 19, 2018
- How Peter, Our Favorite Member of Deadpool 2’s X-Force, Came to Be - May 18, 2018
- Latest Narcos Season 4 Talent Updates - May 17, 2018
- Boots Riley Blesses Us with ‘Sorry to Bother You’ Red Band Trailer - May 17, 2018