In a bit of a surprising move, Ben Brode, who has basically been one of the biggest names at Blizzard and one of the most recognizable people when it comes to Hearthstone as the game’s director, announced on Friday he was leaving the company.
In a message left on the forums, Brode expressed his gratitude to the company and the fans — but rather than take the spotlight, the man did a solid and put over the game’s team for all the work they’ve done in making it as big and popular as it is. Brode will be moving on to start a new company, saying: “We’ll probably make games, but we haven’t figured anything else out, yet.” Below is a snippet from his announcement.
I was 20 years old when I started here. My first role was ‘Night Crew Game Tester.’
Since then, Blizzard has been good to me. I got to cast esports events, announce BlizzCons, play in Rock Bands, write raps, and work with incredible people. But the biggest opportunity came in 2008 when I joined “Team 5.” The Hearthstone Team.
I am very proud of Hearthstone. I think we made an impact on the industry. People tell me that Hearthstone brought their family closer together, or that they became close friends with people they met at a Fireside Gathering. Others tell me they were inspired by Hearthstone to become game developers themselves. It’s incredible to be a part of something that touches so many people.
But as proud as I am of Hearthstone, I am even more proud of the team.
There is no team like the Hearthstone team. People have come and gone over the 10 years Hearthstone has been in development, but there’s something special about the Soul of the Team. We knew our most important product wasn’t the game, but the team itself. A great team can do great things, and I think the Hearthstone team is the greatest. It isn’t just a job. It’s a shared passion. We get to come to work and focus on the game we love and try to make it better every day.
- Hearthstone 2018 HCT Summer Championship Results: Day Two - Quarterfinals
- Hearthstone 2018 HCT Summer Championship Results: Day One - Part 2
- Hearthstone 2018 HCT Summer Championship Results: Day One - Part 1
- Hearthstone Releases a Brand-New 11.2 Update
- Hearthstone's The Witchwood Expansion Launches April 12
- Get Spooky with the Echo Keyword from Hearthstone: The Witchwood
- Blizzard Releases More Information on Hearthstone's New Even-and-Odd-Cost Decks
- Blizzard Announces Hearthstone's First Year of the Raven Expansion: The Witchwood
- Hearthstone's Arena Draft Mode is Getting an Update This Month
- Treyarch Teases Next DLC Zombie Map for Black Ops 4 - October 16, 2018
- Check Out the Latest Video Game Releases for October 16-22, 2018 - October 16, 2018
- Fortnite YouTuber Gets Sued By Epic Games for Selling Cheats - October 15, 2018
- UK’s National Videogame Museum Opens Permanently in November - October 15, 2018
- Six Foot Officially Releases Dreadnought on Steam - October 15, 2018