A report is coming out of The Netherlands today, following an investigation over ten unnamed video games by the Netherlands Gaming Authority, that had determined that certain loot boxes are unlawful and illegal under the government’s current gambling laws. We have a snippet from the official report below, but the short version is that some (not all) have specific practices and odds that go against the country’s current guidelines. Whether or not the country will actually move forward and take action or ban these games is an entirely different discussion, as this is just a report by one of their authoritative bodies and does not constitute law, but it sure as hell is the right kind of ammo if Dutch lawmakers want to take action against those games.
Of the ten examined lottery boxes, four are in violation of the law. This is because coincidence determines the contents of these loot boxes. Moreover, the prizes can be traded outside the game: the prizes have economic value. It is forbidden to offer this type of games of chance without a license to the Dutch players.
Loot boxes: virtual treasure boxes
Loot boxes are kind of treasure boxes that can be acquired or bought in a game. The player has no influence on what is in such a loot box. Loot boxes in games ensure mixing of games of chance and games of skill.
The loot boxes can often be bought in a game, sometimes they are free. In addition, the prize you can win with loot boxes can be worth money. This created the question of whether loot boxes are permitted on the basis of the gambling legislation. The Gaming Authority also wanted to know whether addiction risks were forbidden to open loot boxes.
- Belgium Declares Loot Boxes Illegal and Wants Them Removed
- Skydance Interactive Announces Archangel: Hellfire with New Trailer
- To Leave, a Game About Mental Illness, Gets a PS4 Release Date
- The Legend Of Bum-Bo is Getting a Proper Release in 2018
- Dauntless will Host an Open Beta Starting May 24th
- Loot Boxes and Paid for Currency are Being Removed From Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
- The Best April Fool's Pranks by Game Developers This Year
- Cyberpunk 2077's Single Player Campaign Won't Have Microtransactions – But The Multiplayer Could
- PUBG Introduces Weapon Skins on Test Servers
- Supermassive Games Trademarks Shattered State Without Exclusivity - August 18, 2018
- Far Cry 5 Reveals Next DLC Event, Dead Living Zombies - August 18, 2018
- Librarian Embezzles $89k, Spends It All on ‘Game of War’ Microtransactions - August 18, 2018
- Six Major Paris 2018: Semifinals – Evil Geniuses vs. Rogue - August 18, 2018
- Valve is Apparently Launching Its Own Streaming Channel Called Stream TV - August 18, 2018