This morning it was announced that Twitch and the NBA 2K League have come to an agreement for a multiyear deal to stream the league’s competitions on the social streaming service. The deal gives Twitch the first media rights deal for the league, which will debut on May 1st and feature over 100 NBA 2K players from across the globe. The League made it’s premiere back on April 4th at Madison Square Garden with 17 teams drafting six esports players each to form all the lineups.
Twitch is set to provide “live streams of up to 199 games throughout the season, including weekly matchups, three in-season tournaments, playoffs and the NBA 2K League Finals. The live streams will include various talent providing live commentary, analysis, and additional league updates.” Here are a couple quotes from this morning’s press release on the new agreement.
“This is a groundbreaking partnership for the NBA 2K League,” said NBA 2K League Managing Director Brendan Donohue. “Twitch shares our innovative spirit and commitment to putting the gaming community first, and is the ideal home to provide our passionate 2K, NBA and esports fans around the world with the opportunity to catch all the excitement of our inaugural season.”
“From video games to real games, the NBA continues to innovate around basketball when it comes to engaging with the Twitch community,” said Justin Dellario, Head of Esports Programs, Twitch. “By partnering with Twitch for the NBA 2K League, that pioneering spirit will continue to be reflected when we elevate this latest entry to the world of competitive gaming with interactive features and our global stage.”
This is a nice deal for both as the service now gets a sports-oriented group in the mix while the league gets a firm platform to show off what they can do.
- Twitch Announces New Monetization with Bits in Extensions
- The Legend Of Bum-Bo is Getting a Proper Release in 2018
- Twitch Gets Blocked By Russia Along With Other Google and Amazon Properties
- Looking Over the Overwatch League Skins for the All-Access Pass
- Twitch Will Be Doing New Things to Enhance Overwatch League's Viewing Experience
- Twitch and Shout! Factory to Air 'Home Movies' Marathon This Month
- Neill Blomkamp's Studio Will Broadcast Five Short Films on Twitch
- Twitch to Host a Gaming Livestream to Promote Rampage
- What’s In The Box?!: Loot Crate DX – May 2018 - May 23, 2018
- Nintendo is Now Selling Dockless Switch Consoles in Japan - May 23, 2018
- This Board Needs Decoration: We Review Wizkids’ Pools & Pillars Set - May 23, 2018
- TT Games is Teasing That Something LEGO DC Comics is On The Way - May 23, 2018
- You Can Now Play Rocketeer in Fortnite as the Jetpack Has Arrived - May 23, 2018