Konami has announced a new game in the Castlevania series, but it’s likely not what fans are going to be looking for.
Konami hasn’t made a Castlevania game in quite some time. The last official big release was Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 which came out all the way back in 2014. (There was of course the Netflix series last year too.) A lot has changed with the publisher since then though, with it seemingly wanting to spend less and less on AAA game production and move into other cheaper, yet possibly more lucrative avenues such as pachinko machines. We’ve seen the likes of Metal Gear Survive, Super Bomberman R and Pro Evolution Soccer recently, but as of right now, it doesn’t look like a big new game is on the horizon for the company.
Well, it seems that Castlevania isn’t dead as a game franchise, but sadly, it’s probably not what fans are going to be hoping for. Konami has announced Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls, a mobile game only set to launch in Japan. It’s set to be an action game (via Gemastu) taking place later in the timeline of the lore. It’s set in a post-Dracula world, or at least, until a letter comes to tell protagonist Genya Arikado that the Count is being resurrected. The game will have co-op that makes mention of a global release, but right now that isn’t confirmed. As of right now though, there is no solid release date, even for Japan.
This certainly is an interesting development. It’s clear Konami still has plans for its game franchises and that we can expect various products and works based on them. Hey, this could even be a great mobile game. However, I’m sure the core gamer market would much prefer larger scale productions to bring these classic series into the modern world of mainstream video games. Sadly, on that, we will have to wait.
- Konami Adds Tons of Info Ahead of Castlevania Requiem Release
- Netflix Debuts a New Trailer for Castlevania's Second Season
- Netflix Confirms Castlevania Season 2 Will Premiere in October
- Netflix's Castlevania Set To Return Before Year's End
- Survival Horror Game Agony Finally Gets a Release Date
- Developer Says The Division 2 Can’t Be Openly Political - October 18, 2018
- PUBG Looks to be Bringing Halloween Content to the Game - October 17, 2018
- New SoulCalibur 6 Video Teaches You The Basics - October 16, 2018
- Breath of the Wild Style Open World Pokemon Game Possibly “Still on the Cards” - October 16, 2018
- Destiny 2 Glitch Could Confirm Next Expansion Location - October 15, 2018