Nintendo’s Shinya Takahashi took some time out during the BAFTA Awards after-party rounds to tease the idea of new hardware coming from the company. Nintendo did take home a hanful of awards at the show this year, nabbing two for Super Mario Odyssey and another for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Speaking to the BBC, Takahashi stated that, “Nintendo constantly works on hardware, so we have been doing research and development, so you may see thee new system sometime in the future.”
In terms of interpretations of that statement, IGN puts it best:
You could say that Takahashi is merely pointing out the obvious. Developers like Nintendo are continually working on new hardware innovations, and consoles like the Switch have been in the works for many years before they officially release. That said, keep in mind that many new hardware projects never make it to market.
With this information, Takahashi’s tease should be taken with a grain of salt. Given the fact that the Switch has proven to be such a significant success for Nintendo—unifying both the handheld and home console markets in a single platform—it’s tough to imagine why it would produce another console focused on either of these two platforms. Unless, of course, the console to which Takahashi is referring to is something entirely different.
But the possibility of a new Nintendo kit has everyone talking anyway. You could see this as confirmation of an updated Switch or perhaps a dedicated handheld or home console system. As IGN points out, there’s little reason for Nintendo to make a dedicated system after the success of their hybrid console. Which leaves us with a final possibility: Nintendo VR?
- Super Mario Odyssey Has 5 Unreleased Costumes
- Twitch Users Can Now Play The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild as a Group
- Why Post Malone Streaming Blackout Won’t Increase Call of Duty’s Popularity - October 19, 2018
- Marvel Battle Lines Will Not Include the Liefeld Captain America Cover - October 19, 2018
- Final Fantasy XIV Gets Spooky with the All Saint’s Wake Event - October 18, 2018
- Here is Everything You Need to Know About Battletech: Flashpoint - October 18, 2018
- Dauntless Reveals its New Riftstalker Behemoth and Dark Harvest Event - October 18, 2018