Probably the happiest group of people we came across at PAX East this year were the crew from North Star Games, who follow by a creed of making games more about having fun than about winning. That’s the experience we got from the first game they showed us in Evolution, both as a card game and an app. The game plays a little like Magic: The Gathering, with a few different mechanics thrown in and the removal of the mana system. You play creatures into the wild with the hopes of surviving and growing several creatures out your area on the board. Everyone comes to a feeding pond where they survive either by earing what’s in the water or each other.
You can play cards that help evolve your creatures and give them things like a hard shell or the ability to climb, you can even choose whether or not to keep them herbivores or carnivores. The game goes around the board a few times and after several rounds of play, whoever has the biggest collection of food is the winner. The company put a lot of work and effort into this one, and we’re pretty stoked to see it come out as Evolution is slated for a mid-2018 release.
- Who is Fooling Who Here? We Try Out The Game STAY at PAX East
- Time Keeps on Slipping for Us in Planet Alpha
- Trying Desperately to Accomplish Things with Mugsters at PAX East
- Giving Space Exploration a Shot with Genesis Alpha One
- Having Fun With the Mail in Yoku’s Island Express
- Checking Out What Dell and Alienware Had to Show at PAX East
- Forward Thinking and Running Too in Dungeon Stars from PAX East
- Cede Was the First Game Anyone Gave Me Foliage for at a Convention
- Hitchhiker: First Ride Will Have You Questioning Your Own Sanity in Cars
- Nintendo Switch to get Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix - October 22, 2018
- Blizzard is Giving Away Diablo III Switch Bundles in a Treasure Hunt - October 22, 2018
- The Enclave Faction Returns in Fallout 76 - October 22, 2018
- Jade Raymond, Founder of EA Motive, Has Left the Company - October 22, 2018
- Intellivision Releases a New Trailer for the Amico Console - October 22, 2018