A shuffle on both sides of the camera finds Bloodline‘s Kyle Chandler joining Hulu‘s limited series adaptation of Joseph Heller‘s classic novel Catch-22 as Col. Cathcart, the role originally intended for George Clooney. But it looks to be a drama-free situation for the streaming service: Clooney will still co-direct and executive produce the series, but will be taking on the role of training commander Scheisskopf to be able to focus more on his behind the camera responsibilities.
Set in Italy during World War II, the story focuses on Capt. John Yossarian (Christopher Abbott), a US Air Force bombardier who is furious because of the bureaucratic rule known as Catch-22, which specifies that a concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers which are real and immediate is the process of a rational mind; a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but a request to be removed from duty is evidence of sanity and therefore makes him ineligible to be relieved from duty.
Chandler is no stranger to working with streaming services, having wrapped up his run on Netflix’s Bloodline in 2017. Though best known for his role as football coach Eric Taylor in NBC’s series adaptation of Friday Night Lights, Chandler has been busy on the film side, appearing recently in Game Night, Manchester by the Sea, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Argo. From the television perspective, the actor has appeared in Homefront, Early Edition, and a memorable turn in Grey’s Anatomy.
Grant Heslov is set to direct a portion of the series, and Ellen Kuras will direct two episodes, with all six episodes of the series co-written by Luke Davies and David Michôd. Clooney, Heslov, Davies, and Michôd are set to executive produce alongside Anonymous Content’s Richard Brown and Steve Golin, with Kuras producing. Paramount Television and Anonymous Content will be handling production responsibilities on the project.
- MLB Games You Should Watch on Saturday, April 14
- An Incredible Amount of Incredibles 2 Funko Products Are On The Way
- Jason Voorhees is Still Celebrating Friday The 13th, Coming to One:12 Collective
- Jared Leto Shaves for ‘Morbius’ While He Can Still See His Reflection (VIDEO) - November 15, 2018
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse Season 8, Episode 10 ‘Apocalypse Then’: A Strong Finale Saves the Day (REVIEW) - November 15, 2018
- American Horror Story: Apocalypse Season 8, Episode 10 ‘Apocalypse Then’ (End of Days 810! Live-Blog) - November 14, 2018
- Gotham Season 5: As The City Falls, The “Legend of The Dark Knight” Rises (TRAILER) - November 14, 2018
- CW Sets Theodora Goss’ The Strange Case Of the Alchemist Daughter for Series - November 14, 2018