At Friday’s WWE 2018 Hall of Fame induction ceremony, pro wrestling fans saw something they might have thought they’d never see again: Jeff Jarrett on WWE television. Jarrett left WWE in 1999, dropping the Intercontinental Title to Chyna. Jarrett’s contract had expired before the match, and rumor has it Jarrett demanded a huge sum of money from Vince McMahon in order to wrestle without a contract and drop the belt, though Jarrett has said that it was only money he was owed for his time with the company.
Jarrett went to WWE after that, becoming world heavyweight champion, and he didn’t return to WWE when they purchased WCW in 2001, further fueling rumors of bad blood between Jarrett and McMahon. That was nothing in comparison to what was to come, however, as Jarret co-founded Total Nonstop Action in 2002, which became WWE’s main competitor throughout the first decade of the 2000s, even if it never really stood a chance of beating the corporate giant.
For a long time, WWE seemingly refused to acknowledge TNA in any capacity, but with many of their current stars like AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, and Bobby Roode cutting their teeth in the company, and returning stars like Kurt Angle and the Hardy Boyz spending many years there, along with a changing wrestling landscape that’s seen WWE make peace with the fact that other promotions exist, things have changed. And now, following last night’s ceremony, TNA co-founder Jeff Jarrett is officially a member of the WWE Hall of Fame.
WWE has been chronicling Jarrett’s homecoming in a series of WrestleMania Diary videos, surely to be used on a future WWE Network Special. But you can watch them all together below right now. Spoiler alert: there will be crying.
- Is Next Week’s Weapon X #26, Hell is a Free Market Healthcare System - November 16, 2018
- A Storm is Coming in Next Week’s Shuri #2 - November 16, 2018
- Does Quentin Quire Have 2nd Thoughts About Saving Jubilee? Next Week’s West Coast Avengers #4 - November 16, 2018
- Wait, There’s Another Crimson Gem of Cyttorak Now? Next Week’s Doctor Strange #8 - November 16, 2018
- The Role of American Xenophobia in Next Week’s Infinity Wars: Ghost Panther #1 - November 16, 2018